Canine Behavior/Dog sniffing ground and then rolling in it

Question
Bellas first day here with us!
Bellas first day here  
QUESTION: Hello!
Me again
I have a question about my dogs behaviour, though not an issue, I am just curious as to why both Bella and Cooz(older dog) exhibit this behaviour.
When our for walks with either one of them, they will stop, smell a small area of grass, Bella rolls  around in the area, more or less, she dives into it, while Cooz, pees on it..this happens on separate walks, as Cooz cannot keep up with Bella and I.
Do you know what the heck this is all about?
As well, Bella has an aversion for oblong pillows, particularly one that I rest my arm on while on the computer and another in the rec room in the basement.  She bites into them. It is the strangest thing
She will be laying there, content..with her mouth around the pillow
If you can figure these behaviours out, I would be thrilled..

ANSWER: Well, Bella is a hunting breed (from her appearance).  Rolling in scent is a natural instinct for a dog intended to follow prey (while the hunter follows the dog).  It "erases" the scent of the dog to the prey.  It's a benign event unless she starts rolling in Poop (which does happen, so beware of that and, should she appear to be attempting it, circle her, ask for "sit", keep moving).  Cooz marks over the scent that's on the ground; it's his way of stating "I was here and I'm letting you know it", fairly normal.  Even females will do it (especially if from heavily male populated litters).

It's possible the oblong pillow (because of the scent: you rest your arm on it) is a trophy for Bella.  She doesn't seem to be destroying it or even attempting to destroy it.  She seems to be "claiming" it, much like she would "claim" an object (subject) she was hunting: soft mouth, intent to do no harm.

If you'd like to extinguish this pillow thing, use followup feature and I will give you tips on Leave it/take it.

QUESTION: She always rolls in the same areas, heavily infested rabbit area, so this makes total sense. Thank you, but she sometimes does it in the house too, always in the same spot, right by my husband, as he reads on the computer. What does this mean?
She has not tried rolling in poop, but she always smells it, I control the situation..
When I take Cooz out, he too, stops in all the same places and pees/dribbles.
He stops many times, has for years, sniffs a small spot in the grass, scratches it, then rolls in it..
All of the spots where Cooz has been, Bella sniffs, it is like they are constantly following one another's scent trail or something.
Pillow:
So the pillow is a trophy to Bella, which means that she is claiming me? She also does this to an oblong pillow that my husband bought for her, however I bought her one at the second hand store, and she throws it on the floor when on the couch! Lol
I find it cute and no reason for me to extinguish .

Answer
The largest threat to Bella's rolling where rabbits have urinated is leptospirosis.  She should be vaccinated against this every three years at least, talk to your veterinarian.

Try to continue to not allow either of your dogs to go near poop of any kind.  From this source can be contracted intestinal parasites and even Parvo virus, deadly.  Just because a dog is vaccinated against Parvo does not necessarily mean the dog is 100% protected; titers rather than annual vaccinations is what I chose to do for all my dogs but when it comes to Parvo you can't be too careful.  Again, talk to the veterinarian.  Cooz is marking, normal male behavior, and they really are following one another's trail markers.

The pillow thing is just one of those idiosyncrasies that prove each dog, like each human (and each of everything else) is unique: only one like him or her.  It's cute, actually.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.