Canine Behavior/Introducing a new dog

Hi, I own a lovely staffy/boxer cross bitch. She is a really wonderful gentle dog. She is a rescue of about 3.5 years age an we have had her since she was about 1
So when we saw of another staffy/boxer cross of around the same age in arescue centre (even though we wernt looking for another dog) we decided to get him. He is also a really lovely dog and extremely gentle and full of affection just like the bitch.
The problem were having with them is that although they are generally fine together during the day or night, intact they often share a bed. When were home The bitch which is the original dog will follow him round the garden nipping at his Jowls. The dog is very submissive but has started to stand up for himself causing them to fight. A couple of times they have even drawn blood. I believe part of her behaviour could be jealousy over the new dog been in her garden etc. is there any good methods for stopping them fighting. As iv read up on it in a few different articles and they are often slightly contradictory. It seems so sad to have to give this lovely dog up when they get on 95% of then time. We have only had the dog 5 days and we was just going to see how it played out and hopefully calmed down between them but the one thing most articles agree on is that this aggressive behaviour will often just get worse between them. I would be very grateful for any information you could provide me with.

Dogs were introduced improperly (no reflection on you, how could you possibly know what to do.)  After only five days, you're having trouble.  You need the intervention of a behaviorist and in the UK there are many licensed professionals.  Before this gets worse (and it might), do something.

Here are some resources:

Meanwhile: identify WHERE and WHEN the problem arises and keep the dogs from repeating in these situations. Do not allow the bitch to follow the dog around in the garden.  He is being a male, he is acquiescing, but her behavior is pushing the issue and then reacting in a manner that causes me some modicum of alarm because the dog almost always acquiesces to the bitch.  You have no history here, this male might not be habituated to another dog; your bitch might not have been habituated to another dog.  I can't see anything from here.

Can this be de-escalated?  Yes, I have done so in situations with same sex aggression (much more treacherous).  It can be done by the "right" person but that person absolutely requires solid credentials and references you can CHECK.  I think there's hope in this situation but you must act, and soon.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.