Canine Behavior/pomerainian help

Question
my wife and i took a pom from a friend,his name is bashful we have had him almost 2 years now he bites at the air like he is trying to catch a fly but there isn't anything their ,and lately he wakes up growling and barking and attacks the other dogs as they sleep when he wakes in that mood sometimes even trying to bite us when we try to calm him after a few moments he is fine now we did get him from a friend as i mentioned but she got him from a lady who bought him and then didn't want him he was scared and shy when we first got him hence the name bashful took almost 6 months for him to even let me hold him but the wife he took right to her  is there anything we can do to help him ? thank you

Answer
First stop: veterinary neurologist or veterinary internist.  "Biting at the air" is a symptom of possible temporal lobe seizures as is is waking up "growling/barking/attacking" and "biting" you.  This dog has some loss of cognition.  It could be complex, it could be as simple as the wrong diet (just as some children respond to dietary changes when they are being treated for ADHD).  The following article was written specifically for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels but applies to any breed domestic dog or hybrid.

http://www.mail-archive.com/ckcs-l@apple.ease.lsoft.com/msg00478.html

Diagnosing a dog with temporal lobe seizure is not easy and it isn't cheap.  The veterinarian might just put the dog on a trial dose of phenobarbital.  This is a harmless drug but, if what you describe is neurological and seizure related, it will help.  

You can find a specialist by calling the veterinary school in your area and you must be prepared to drive whatever distance it takes.  You may need a written referral from your primary veterinarian.

Meanwhile: put a house tab on this dog (only when you are at home): this is a very lightweight leash.  If he begins to "bite at the air", simply pick up the house tab and sit calmly and allow him to calm.  Leash restraint often helps a dog through a bout of hallucinatory experience.  I suggest he be separated for sleep from the other dogs.  If he wakes "in that mood", your attempt to CALM HIM may be actually construed as REWARD.  Pick up the house tab; hold the dog at arm's length; wait for him to calm (no matter how long it takes); get up, circle the dog as if following a large hoola hoop, right, then left, ask for "sit", praise calmly but lavishly, drop the leash.  You are now disabling him from following whatever is causing this fight/flight response, you are calmly in control until his fight/flight response STOPS, you are then (by circling) engaging cognition (he must "think" through this procedure) and then asking for a trained behavior (benign: "sit"), and rewarding with calm praise.

If you are unable to find a specialist close enough to get to, ask your veterinarian for a course of Propanolol, this is a beta blocker which truncates the flow of adrenaline and might just help the dog not to be over reactive.

This dog appears to have had a serious lack of socialization and may very well have come from a puppy mill (meaning: inherited fear problems among others).  Please let's try the veterinary approach first.  Then I will refer you (or attempt to) to a certified applied animal behaviorist because the dog must be seen in person and professionally evaluated in order to put a course of behavior modification in place (if possible, based upon veterinary report).

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.