Canine Behavior/Housetrained Dog Peeing Inside

Dear Madeline,

I have read you biography and I promise to read and rate your response within three days.  I understand that your time is valuable, that you are most likely spending at least 45 minutes of your time in response to my question, and I understand too that when questioners read and rate your responses fairly that you make random donations to animal shelters to help homeless animals.  In the interest of being appreciative of your time AND helping shelter dogs and cats, I agree that I will rate your response and give you fair feedback.

My family and I recently adopted an 8 month old beagle mix named Willow. She was rescued from a neglectful home and has been in foster care for several months now. I talked to her last foster mom extensively about her behavior, what food she was given, how active she was, and if she was housetrained. I was told she was, and informed of the dog's way of letting the family know she needed to go out.

The puppy seemed to be adjusting fine. Our home is a little busier than her previous one. There are often more kids and friends over, but Willow has been adapting wonderfully. We have had her in our home for just over two weeks, and up until today, we have not had any problems with accidents in the house. She would always run to the door and bark to let us know she needed to go out. I would always go out with her, she would do her business very quickly, then come back to the door and sit down, which she has learned means she is allowed to come back inside.

Today though, she never ran to the door and never barked. I contined to take her out at the times that she would normally go out. I would stay out with her, sometimes for 15-20 minutes without her going potty. She would come back to the door and sit down, wanting to go back inside, so I would let her. Then she would go and immediately pee on the carpet, and I don't know why.

I thought it might be a urninary tract infection, but when my old dog had one, he would want to go out all the time and cry when he did go. She is not exhibiting any of the same behaviors he had. She is eating and drinking, going on her walks, and playing normally, and her schedule for pooping has not changed.

Do you have any idea why she may be doing this?

Thank you so much for your time,

Hello. Morgan,

Thank you for your question as well as agreeing to read and rate my response via the virtual contract.

All dogs have a great sense of smell, but hounds such as Beagles and Beagle mixes have an especially sensitive sense of smell.  Did you or do you have another animal who may have eliminated on the carpet where your Beagle mix rescue has recently chosen to eliminate indoors on the carpet? Your Beagle mix may be picking up remnants of any scent left behind from another animal.  Even if the carpet was cleaned, the padding and floor underneath may be retaining scent.  The best product to use to eliminate any scent would be an enzymatic cleanser, such as Nature's Miracle, for one.

As to the possibility of a UTI, that's a good thought, and I wouldn't dismiss it or rule it out, necessarily.  Not all dogs cry or show signs of having a UTI besides having accidents or requesting to be let out more frequently.  That being said, waiting to come in and then urinating on the carpeting doesn't sound like a dog with a UTI, but if it's early on, I wouldn't rule it out just yet and would explore the possibility if the inappropriate urination continues or becomes worse.

If you're saying "it's none of the above," try this:  instead of letting her out off leash, take her out on leash for a walk for about 15 minutes,during which time she will most likely urinate at least once, and probably several times.  Hounds need to sniff, and they should be given ample opportunity to go out on real walks and sniff several times a day.  She may be bored with your backyard smells, and they may not be enticing enough to encourage her to urinate.

Last, if none of the above seem to work, go back to housetraining her as you would a pup.  She's still young, and sometimes dogs regress.  I would walk her on a schedule first thing in the morning and within 15 minutes of meals or water, and after she's napped or played.  If she doesn't eliminate when you take her out for a walk on leash, crate her and try again in 15 minute intervals.  If you're not crating her, hold on to her leash indoors and keep a sharp eye on her, looking for signs that she's going to urinate, such as circling and sniffing, clap your hands to startle her, and whisk her right out to do her business.  Always highly praise her verbally when she does, and I'd even suggest giving her a tasty treat right after she finishes.

I hope this helps, and if you could follow-up in a week and let me know how things are going, I'd love an update.

Good luck, and thank you for rescuing a dog!

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman at Allexperts
Join my FB page: NY, NJ and Florida Metro Areas Dog Training

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.

I respond to public questions only. I'm not a veterinarian & do not respond to medical questions.Suggestions: Submit a question in one area of priority, as what I am able to address in this venue is limited. Provide as much detail re: the behavior & issue as you can. Tell me how & if behavior is a change from previous behavior & when the changes occurred. Let me know what you think may have triggered such changes & what you have tried so far to resolve it, & what the results were. Let me know what you want help with & what are your concerns & questions about the behavior. I have set up a payment/donation to myself for responding to questions. I donate most of it to animal shelters & rescues. I keep a small portion for my time. The minimum donation is $25.00 on PayPal. When I see that a donation has been made, I will respond to your question. You will be prompted to make the donation before submitting your question. When you have read & rated my response fairly, which must be at the time you read it, I will refund $5.00 back to you IF YOU REQUEST that I do so in your rating comments. If I ask for more details, please respond as a "follow-up" & not as a new question. If I don't respond to your question, I will refund your donation less $5.00. DO rate me fairly at the end of our exchange. I will be pleased if you DO nominate me for volunteer of the month - why not, if I was generous in my response? I may suggest something you were not necessarily ready to hear, but I am honest in the interest of helping your dog, & that is my goal. Please keep that in mind. Please do NOT contact me privately about Allexperts questions through my e-mail or website unless I have invited you to do so. That is an invasion of my privacy - thank you for respecting it. If you would like to contact me for actual dog training & behavior consulting, you may contact me through my Web site.

Own & operate dog training & behavior consulting businesses, Hoboken Dog Trainer, and ny-njDogTrainer, in the NYC & NYC Metro areas since 2002. Work with thousands of dog owners & their dogs, & shelter & rescue dogs. Active volunteer in dog shelters and rescues (rescues being "no kill" and shelters being municipality-run urban shelters that can and do euthanize dogs). AllExperts volunteer in "Dogs, Category 701" and "Dog Training" and "Canine Behavior" since 2006. When you submit a question, please make sure it's being submitted in the appropriate category as I volunteer in two different categories. Make sure you agree to the Virtual Contract (the instructions I outline for question submissions) and agree to read and rate my response when I answer in the body of your question. I make donations to various animal non-profits based on YOUR ratings. If you don't rate my response, or rate it unfairly, you have just denied a dog rescue org or shelter a donation. Keep that in mind.

Professional Member of APDT for five years Founding Member of Animal Behavior Associates Behavior Education Network Former Board Member of IAABC, appointed by Founder Former Member of IPDTA in Canada Founding member of Behavior Education Network

Chronicle of the Dog (APDT, peer publication, numerous articles) Popular Dog Series magazine, numerous entries AOL in Tonowanda News Morris County News Vermont News Boston NOW New York A.M. Polo Trace Newsletter The Dodo AOL

Counseling Psychology, Caldwell College Animal Science, Rutgers University Master of Arts Degree Permanent New Jersey State Teaching Certification (teach public school and university level) Numerous workshops, lectures, and seminars on dog training and behavior Ongoing self-motivated study in my area of expertise

Best Canine Coach Award, 2006, Rondout Valley Instructor's Training Course Society of Illustrators, second place international competition Jellybean Photographics, second place international competition Fashion Institute of Technology "Commitment to Illustration" award

Testimonials from a number of clients appear on my Web site at under "Reviews." My customers include: Puppy owners wanting to get their puppies off to the best start; owners of mature dogs who want their dogs to have more obedience skills; fosters and owners of rescue dogs or shelter dogs; customers with special needs who need to train or retrain their dogs; housetraining and housebreaking; owners who have behavioral issues with their dogs such as house accidents, aggression towards humans, aggression towards other animals, inattentive dogs, unmotivated dogs, overly-exuberant dogs; and, more.