Canine Behavior/two male buddies

Question
two of them playing
two of them playing  
Dear Madeline, I have read you biography and I promise to read and rate your response within three days.  I understand that your time is valuable, that you are most likely spending at least 45 minutes of your time in response to my question, and I understand too that when questioners read and rate your responses fairly that you make random donations to animal shelters to help homeless animals.  In the interest of being appreciative of your time AND helping shelter dogs and cats, I agree that I will rate your response and give you fair feedback.

My father has a four year old german sheperd-malamute mix,and me and boyfriend have an almost 2 year old rottweiler.We just moved in a house on the same courtyard with my father's,so the two dogs are staying together.Both of them are male,they get along pretty well,there were fights at the beginning but it is getting better and better.
My first question is if there is such thing in dog's world like jealousy? Because the one reason they start fighting is because they are really excited to get affection from us,when they haven't seen us for like few days.
The other thing is playing.They play a lot together,one of them is catch-me-if-you-can, and the other is mostly the rottweiler putting his leg on the neck of the malamute mix,and the malamute tries to catch his leg,they are kind of wrestling.Is this just simply playing or kind of "i want to dominate you" from the rottie?
And the last one is that the malamute,is licking the rottweiler's penis  more then 10 seconds and after that starts to set his teeth on edge and salivates.Can you tell me what these things could mean?
Thank you very much in advance,
Zsuzsi

Answer
Hello, Zsuzsi,

Thank you for your questions and for agreeing to read and rate within three days.

In answer to your first question, sibling rivalry absolutely does exist between dogs that live together!  Dogs can experience jealousy, or "sibling rivalry," over resources they highly value, including humans.

In order to keep fights from breaking out, when you arrive keep your arrivals low-key, ignoring the dogs by giving something else your attention such as watering the plants, until they're calm, which may take several minutes.  Fights between dogs over resources are most likely to break out when dogs are excited.  When the dogs are calm, greet each one by name, briefly, and then greeting the other.  Vary who you greet first.  You can even teach the dogs to "wait your turn" while you greet the other.  This works beautifully with dogs, inclusding with my own two males who become very excited to see me when I've returned from being out.  If your father is there when you arrive, greet him first, ignoring the dogs until they're calm.  If you consistently employ this routine, the dogs will become used to it as a habit and learn to calm more quickly over time.

As to your second question, I'd have to see the behavior in order to evaluate it as "play," which is characterized by different behavior than non-play behavior.  Play behavior has frequent starts-and-stops to it, lots of "look-aways" by the dogs, and play bows, where the dogs go down on their front paws in a brief "bow" position in order to communicate that they're playing. If your dogs' behavior during the times that your Rottie is putting his paw over your Mal-Shepherd mix looks like what I described, then it's most likely play.

As to your last question, I'm guessing that your Mal-Shepherd mix is "standing still for inspection" when your Rottie is licking his penis, meaning that, in that instance, he is submitting to and allowing your Rottie to do this.  The "teeth being set on edge" that you describe is called "chattering.". It's in part a flehmen response to the information the licking dog has gathered from urine traces on the other dog's penis, and also indicates excitement.  In that context, your Mal-Shepherd is "submitting" to your Rottie by allowing it.  However, submission and domination between dogs is fluid and contextual, with each dog being submissive or dominant in different contexts depending on the situation.

Yours were very interesting questions.  Thank you for submitting them to me!  I hope my responses have helped you understand your dogs' behavior better.

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman, dog trainer and Allexperts volunteer

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.