Canine Behavior/Strange behavior after other dogs death

Question
I had two dogs,Snowflake and Blizzard and they were with each other for 10 years.  The female, Snowflake which was a pit passed away and ever since this my boy dog, Blizzard which is lab/german sheppard mix has been taking food and leaving trails all over the house.  He never did this once while Snowflake was alive.  She was the dominant one in the relationship especially with food.  Do you know why he possibly could be doing this?  I know dogs can grieve when they lose a companion, is this just his way of grieving? Thanks

Answer
I'm sorry for your loss; some people are so insensitive to how important our dogs are to us and each life is sacred, God doesn't make junk.  The first impulse might be to get another dog, don't do it.  At ten, Blizzard may be unable to adjust to another "strange" dog.

This dog is confused and anxious.  He acquiesced to your bitch (Snowflake) as any good dog properly should.  He is most likely leaving these trails in some problem solving he is attempting, perhaps to placate her, not knowing she will not return.  Since he respected her, it would not be uncommon for him to be very uncomfortable consuming food without her presence, and thus the trail: rather like Hansel and Gretel.  Quite sad.  But this will pass.  Feed him normally; do not attempt to soothe him if he seems depressed, you will be rewarding his depression.  Interact with him normally and lavish praise upon him when he responds to commands or even approaches you: "Oh, what a good dog you are."  Eventually (most likely within weeks), he will "forget" and begin eating normally.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.