Canine Behavior/Crate Training with a Varied Schedule

Question
Dear Madeline, I have read you biography and I promise to read and rate your response within three days.  I understand that your time is valuable, that you are most likely spending at least 45 minutes of your time in response to my question, and I understand too that when questioners read and rate your responses fairly that you make random donations to animal shelters to help homeless animals.  In the interest of being appreciative of your time AND helping shelter dogs and cats, I agree that I will rate your response and give you fair feedback.

I want to know what the best way to crate train, Zulu, our 15 wk Border Collie-Belgian Malinois mix.  He will be getting his final vaccinations today and hopefully we can start taking him out in public to burn off some steam at dog parks.  We have already been using the crate at night and for general potty training.  He is starting to go in upon verbal or physical cues from us.  He doesn't see the crate as punishment and is OK with it.

I work from home 75% of the time but travel 25% of the time.  Up until now, when I am not on the road I will let Zulu spend his time 1/3 in Kennel, 1/3 in Xpen and 1/3 roaming the fenced off kitchen and family room where I have been working and monitoring him, all in my presence.

He has been pretty good so far (almost to the surprise of my wife who works in an office), fairly well behaved and starting to alert us to take him out to relieve himself.  In general this is good behavior, but we are wondering if he is growing overly attached to this lifestyle and has separation anxiety when I travel.

My wife is frustrated with the wild puppy behavior during her visits at lunch time when I am traveling.  We do not to leave him for more than 4 hours on his own.  He is frustrating my wife because he chews up the towels that cover most of his crate (which we have now removed), jumps up constantly on the afternoon walk, and then barks when put back in.

We are starting to wonder if we need to "break" him of this behavior by having me work in my office on the other side of the house and ignore him for 4 hours at a time.  I would then feed him and play with him like my wife would at lunch and then crate him and ignore him for another 4 hours.  Would we then continue this until he can quietly exist for 4 hours at a time consistently?

Eventually I want him to sit near me while I work if he wants and over time when we can trust him (1-2 years away) let him roam the house even when I am traveling.  We love our dog and like spending time with him, but we have no problem doing the objective/right thing to train him. If that means ignoring barking and limiting my contact in these early months while I work from home, I can do that.

Please provide some guidance and explanation the psychology involved.

Thanks,
Dan

Answer
Hi, Dan,

Thanks for your question.  What you've described is vastly more than just a crate  training issue about which you've somewhat asked.  You' seem comfortable with your crate training schedule, and it appears to be working.  As far as I can tell, your Border Collie-Malinois mix sleeps in the crate, and that sounds fine to me.  I wouldn't expect him to spend four more hours in his crate for behavior issues.  Your dog needs to be trained, and spending time in his crate won't train him, particularly in regard to the other issues you've mentioned.

Don't make the mistake oft confusing crate "training" with puppy training.  Given what you told me about your pup's behavior on leash, the lack of proper socialization waiting for the last round of vaccinations (most veterinarians are SO wrong about this), the fact that you're planning to take what is generally a high-octane mix of breeds to the dog park (not recommended) who is not yet well-trained, the wild behavior when your wife comes home to walk Zulu, and your pup's behavior when you're working at home,  I strongly suggest you hire a positive methods only, professional trainer.  If you're in my service area I would be happy to talk with you about my services at 646-265-8743.  I service NYC and metro area, New Jersey, and parts of south central Florida.  However, it looks like you're in Nenraska and I'm sure if you get referrals and utilize Google you'll be able to find a positive methods trainer with behavioral experience.  Make sure you get referrals and learn a bit about positive methods before you hire anyone.  Some trainers say they use positive-only methods when they don't.

Best regards,

Madeline Friedman, M.A.

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.