Canine Behavior/Dog scared of thunder

Question
Thank you so much for your time.  I have a 4 year old black lab/ golden retriever mix (male).  He has suddenly become extremely scared of storms.  He never seemed to mind them before.  If there is a storm during the day, he follows me around everywhere.  If the storm hits in the middle of night, he jumps on our bed ( he sleeps on the floor) and pants very heavy in our face, claws the sheets, and whimpers occasionaly.  We tried ignoring him but it doesn't work.  It has been very stormy where I live lately and I have lost a lot of sleep.  I feel so bad for him but I have no clue how to handle this.  Any ideas?  Do you recommend medications, melatonin?  thank you again for your help!

Answer
It's not at all uncommon for a dog to fear storms but considering this is sudden, I suggest something we will never understand occurred during one (as simple as, dog caught a toenail in the rug and it hurt).

What do you mean by "We tried ignoring him..."
What do you do when he follows you around during the day during a storm
Has he done any damage in the home during a storm when no one is present (ANY, even the slightest)
Last, but not least: when were his last vaccinations, can you find any correlation between that date and this behavior?

Please use followup so I can see original question/answer.  ALSO include any behavior that is out of the ordinary for a calm, friendly dog (excessive barking at strangers, barking at the door, hackles raised outdoors when other dog or person approaches)....anything you can think of that causes you even the slightest worry or problem.  Thanks.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.