Canine Behavior/a follow up question again

QUESTION: need a medium sized or small sized dog which barks least,is not energectic...does good with walks and is friendly.i live in a house with a yard,please suggest some dog breeds.

ANSWER: Far too many questions you can't answer, especially your experience with dogs, your living conditions, if the dog will be living inside your home (I HOPE), etc.  There are several sites online with quizzes, two of which can be found:

Others also available on Google.

Let's do this: take these quizzes, write down your selections and why you have selected them, then send me a FOLLOWUP QUESTION with your results and we can try to help find you the right dog companion.

QUESTION: top 6 breeds  acc to select smart were...
  1.   French Bulldog (100%)      
       2.   Whippet (97%)         
  3.   Polish Lowland Sheepdog (96%)
  4.   Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (94%)
  5.   Shiba Inu (91%)      
  6.   Sussex Spaniel (90%)
i would like an independent yet stranger friendly dog that can live outside in our frnced yard cum it possible? or is it very necessary to keep it inside?my mom is a no-dog she i luv and advice.

ANSWER: Every single breed of dog NEEDS TO LIVE INSIDE.  An outside dog is not going to know the "rules" of social hierarchy in the family, will not be house trained, will be available to every idiot who comes along to taunt, tease, or worse.  Outside dogs are not properly socialized to people, they are randomly "met" or "encountered" by people and quickly develop guarding response (i.e., barking, fence running, even fence jumping, growling, snapping).  Such dogs are NOT COMPANIONS.  Also: dogs need to live in a structured environment and be PART OF the "family" (whether that is a pack of dogs - a terrible idea - or a "pack" of Humans).

French Bulldog:  not a particularly easy breed although very expensive (if acquired from a good breeder).  These dogs SNORE (a lot) and require heavy socialization to other dogs and tons and tons of people, children, babies when they are neonates (age 6 weeks PLUS) through adulthood (two years).

Polish Lowland Sheepdog:  Poor choice, requires daily grooming and WILL BECOME a SERIOUS GUARDING DOG of your property since that is their original purpose.  Will never do well without a "herd", a "pack", a solid social interaction with its "people".  This dog will bark, and it has a high propensity for GUARDING BEHAVIOR.

Nova Scotia Duck Trolling Retriever:  Quite rare, quite expensive, most likely long waiting list.  NO GOOD BREEDER of ANY BREED DOG is going to sell a puppy to someone who will isolate that puppy in an outdoor living space.  This breed has high energy, requiring physical exercise (under supervision of veterinarian to avoid orthopedic injury to developing joints).  It has a VERY STRONG PREY DRIVE (to RETRIEVE), it is highly intelligent which means the dog will get into a whole lot of trouble very fast without an owner who has a real understanding of this breed, its purpose, and how to re-direct that purpose and this high intelligence so as to create a companion dog.  They are affectionate and friendly BUT this means WORK, it doesn't happen by itself.

Shiba Inu:  Not a contender for your needs.  This is a highly intelligent (rare) breed that has an extremely HIGH prey drive.  It is a GUARDING DOG and WILL BARK a great deal, even when living indoors until the "bark" (which, by the way, is the way dogs communicate) is trained (calmly and consistently) to cease on a cue ("command" like "quiet").  You would then observe the Shiba still barking, but a "whisper" of a bark.  I think this is far too much dog for you, a disaster in the making.

Sussex Spaniel:  This breed is (if produced by a REAL breeder) a HUNTING BREED, driven to work as companion with Human after careful training and socialization.  It requires a tremendous amount of professional grooming.  It cannot live outdoors; most "hunting" (Sporting) breeds require "packs" (we, as Humans, become their "packs").

Whippet:  This is most likely the absolute best choice, HOWEVER:  This is a sight hound which means: the Whippet will chase whatever it "eyes", so it cannot be kept outdoors and it CANNOT BE WALKED OFF LEASH FOR ANY REASON, ANYWHERE unless you have obtained a Companion Dog Excellent Title from the AKC.  Even then, the prey drive ("eye", chase, kill) is very very high.  These dogs are normally quite docile, can be (especially the males) destructive in their first 18 months, but are very long lived if cared for properly.  They love to go under the "covers" in bed and sleep. I was Whippet Rescue in the NY tri-state area for years.  This is a "wash and wear" dog which means you can occasionally take the dog into the shower with you for a quick bath and then "dress" it in a t shirt until it dries.  This is a breed that is affectionate, bid-able (but ONLY POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT TRAINING), a wonderful and loving companion.  Shedding is negligible: you won't notice it at all.

Your Mom will not FEAR a Whippet puppy but I doubt very much you can acquire one where you live and NO GOOD BREEDER will ship a puppy a great distance by plane into an area where the weather is hot (Cargo hold will kill a puppy), so you would most likely have to go and bring this puppy home IN THE CABIN in a carrier.  Calm, consistent, loving and low key positive training, along with a lot of socialization (meeting other SAFE DOGS - not free ranging street dogs, not dogs that demonstrate ANY aggression toward other dogs), people of all ages, children especially (Whippets if raised properly are wonderful companions in a household with children but children can never be left alone with any dog).  This is your best choice.  A WHIPPET CANNOT LIVE ALONE OUTDOORS, totally out of the question.

IF (big "IF" I see you live in India) you can find a legitimate breeder of Whippets (by legitimate I mean someone who is in the "show" ring for conformation, the "obedience" ring, NOT lure coursing which will bring out a stronger prey drive in puppies) within reasonable distance of your home, best bet is to bring Mom along to the breeder's house.  There's very little more endearing than a house full of Whippets and THAT'S WHERE ALL THE DOGS SHOULD BE: IN THE HOUSE.  You can pay several visits until Mom is comfortable with the adults.  I have no idea if you'll be able to find such a breeder where you live.

QUESTION: I know how in many ways u are correct.da problem is I can't write u long description here.dey vl reject.I had bought a hd to give her off wen she ws 1 yr old as mom ws too scared.even refused to see puppy.I hd to keep her in a separate rented is nt brave mentally.nt I thought keeping a dog in yard cn mean I cud keep a basset hound a good choice?please advice.

My dear friend, my heart goes out to you.  Obviously your mother's fear and overall health issues prevail in this situation.  You CANNOT leave any dog living "outdoors" unless that dog has an intended purpose (i.e., the Maremma which grows up surrounded by the sheep s/he will guard: a thick coated dog and a fierce guardian not really suitable as a companion to humans.)  So in your situation, no dog is the best dog.  Basset Hound is a terrible choice because it is a heavily "pack oriented" breed type and it will bark and it will howl and it will develop other highly unwanted behaviors.  At this point in your life (and you are young, I'd guess) you must wait for a situation when you are on your own, in your own living space.  Your first priority is your mother and I know you feel that way about her (which tells me she is a fine woman).  You have the rest of your life to own a dog, but you will never have another mother.  So can we put this to rest right now?  Perhaps another sort of animal companion that your mother does not fear and will enjoy (such as a rabbit: yes they make wonderful indoor pets and can even be trained to use a litter pan): they don't bark either (lol).  God bless you, I wish I had a magic answer but in life there are rarely such.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.