Canine Behavior/new dog

Question
‎Hi,

I have read your biography and promise to read and rate your response within three days.

Thank you for answering my question, which is:

I recently lost my dog of 16 (she passed away). I am thinking of getting another dog, but in a couple of weeks I am starting a new job which will entail some long days such as 10, 11 hours away from home. I will be available on the weekends though and would like a dog that can be active with me at those times, jogging, swimming, fetch. I don't need a huge dog but I lean more towards medium to larger dogs than very small ones. Can you recommend the type or breed of dog I should consider for my lifestyle? I live in a climate that is mild through the year, but it can dip into the 40s during winter. Any advice will be helpful. If possible I will even consider a rescue dog, if you can name some advantages to doing that v. getting a puppy from a breeder

Glen

Answer
Couch potato still needs walks 4x a day
Couch potato still nee  
Hi Glen,

Thank you for your question. I'm going to be very honest in my response, and I hope you appreciate my honesty and rate my response fairly after you receive it.

Dogs are social creatures. To have a dog spend 11 hours a day alone is a long time, not only from the social aspect, but because that's a long time for any dog to go without a walk and hold the contents of his bladder, as well as have no social contact. I think a puppy would be oout of the question right now, as puppies need to be houstrained, socialized, carefully supervised and monitored, and walked every two to four hours. A mature rescue dog might be housetrained, but will still need a walk part-way through the long hours you'll be working - will you be prepared to hire a reputable walker to take your dog out and provide her some activity for at least an hour five hours or so after you've left for the day? And, if the walker can't show up, would you have a back-up plan?

I think you're asking for two dogs: one, a dog who is relatively inactive and will be content to spend most of the day alone; and, second, another dog who is ready to get up and go with you on week-ends. I am not trying to be sassy here, but have you thought about borrowing a friend's dog on week-ends if you want canine companionship at those times? My honest response is that I don't feel your lifestyle right now (once you start the job with the long hours) can really accommodate a dog's needs.

There are two exceptions of which I can think:
1. Have you thought about adopting a cat? Cats don't need to be walked, can spend more hours alone than a dog, and also provide wonderful companionship; and,
2. Have you thought about a smaller breed that you can take to work with you, if you have the type of job which will allow it and which would be a good environment for a dog (say, for instance, a creative environment)? A pup couldn't do much better with socialization than a work environment where people would most likely stop by frequently to get daily doses of the dog.

If none of these are options for you, I would strongly suggest you put obtaining a dog on hold right now until you have more time to devote to a dog. Last option: you could volunteer for a shelter on week-ends. They would love to have a volunteer who would take the dogs jogging and play fetch with them, and since you'd be working with different dogs each time (most likely, as dog became adopted and new dogs came in), you could spread the wealth of your volunteering around, AND you'd be providing a great socialization service for the dogs and the new owners, such a win-win for everyone.

I hope you accept the well-intended spirit of the advice I'm giving. I've owned dogs all my life, and I know the attention and activity they need - even the "couch potatoes" need more than what you can offer right now. I hope you understand. :-)

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman, M.A.
www.HobokenDogTrainer.com
Www.DelrayBeachdogTrainer.com

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.