Canine Behavior/Return to obnoxious behavior

I have a 15 month old pit mix who was spayed last week. Since then she has been acting differently, allow me to explain. The first 10ish months she was the typical energetic, adorable yet ill behaved puppy. Almost overnight she turned into the perfect dog, no accidents, no chewing, calmer disposition. It was great.
Since her operation last week, she has returned to crazy amounts of energy, chewing, dumping garbage cans, and being obnoxious to get our attention.
Is this normal? Will it subside? And what can we do to help our dog who seems to be unmaturing?

I thought we were done with the puppy phase...

Find a more sophisticated veterinarian.  If your bitch was spayed with a high estrogen titer (before first cycle), she is "stuck".  She will require hormonal therapy for a while.  Every bitch should be allowed one full estrus cycle (and they can be "silent" so owners need to pay attention.)  The increase in risk of mammary cancer is small (less than 1%).  Most veterinarians still appear to be pushing spay before first cycle, a huge mistake, you can see the results.  A course of Progesterone treatment might be just the ticket for your dog.

Call the teaching hospital in your area and look for a veterinary internist (who will most likely require a referral from your vet) or a Veterinary Behaviorist (who might not).  Once you have your opinion, use followup feature (So I can see original question and answer) and we will use the medication as an opportunity to counter condition her present behavior.  Thank you.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.