Canine Behavior/scared dog

Question
I have a 20 month old German Shepard that as of the last 2 nights is acting scared and panting allot at night. He acts like he can hear or even see something in the house. He is cowering , looking around and wont leave my side at night.His ears will perk up and he quits panting when he thinks he hears something then goes right back to this unusual behavior. I can let him outside and he runs around the yard okay but hesitates to come back indoors. It did storm a couple nights ago but not last night. It has been windy but that has never seemed to bother him before. He doesn't like to cuddle but lays on me and needs constant reassuring when he acts like this and looks around like there is something in the house.

Answer
VERY short term behavior that YOU ARE NOW REWARDING because you are a caring person and you want to calm and reassure your dog.  We may never know why he suddenly acquired this behavior.  The GSD has had, in the past 20 years, a large problem with FEAR.  The last thing you want to do is reward this.  Now: perhaps someone did try to get into your house.  This breed "should" not develop a fear response but they often do.  Perhaps you have little visitors (it IS the time of year you know for these little visitors to "move in") and the dog is confused and fearful of them.

Your assignment:  When he "lays" on you, casually get up and remove yourself.  Observe him.  If his ear set is normal, tail set normal, hackles not raised, have a ten second "party": laugh, clap your hands quietly, make a fuss over him, go on about your business.  If you let him out during one of his fear episodes you are effectively rewarding him.  DO NOT do that.  We can probably extinguish this sudden fear response within a week (perhaps even less).  Try this technique I suggested for THREE DAYS and then REPORT BACK using followup feature so I can see your original question/answer.

Help this dog to feel more confident by being a consistent, calm, and fair "leader".

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.