Canine Behavior/My Dane keeps tarring up his bed.

Question
How do I stop him? He's 9 months old, very  smart, but has torrent up all his beds, including a new futon mattress and the newest Natures Choise memory foam.

Answer
Usually this type of destruction is the result of separation anxiety.  Please answer the following questions:

1.  Where does this dog sleep
2.  Is he neutered
3.  Are there other dogs or animals in the household
4.  Does he sleep in an area that is "vulnerable" (near outside door) or far from your bed
5.  Is he house trained and do you take him out at reasonable intervals (give me times)
6.  Is he socialized well, friendly to other people and dogs
7.  Have you done any negative reinforcement training with him or "punished" him by sending him to his "bed"
8.  Is he other wise calm, stoic, accepting of all comers, or is he anxious, fearful, shying away from people or things
9.  Has he had an orthopedic evaluation (pain while lying down would be immediately associated with whatever he is lying on)

Please use followup feature to answer questions so I can see original question/answer.  

Thank you.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.