Canine Behavior/Face rubbing on blankets

Question
Miaya
Miaya  
Hi

So my 5 year old border collie has picked up this and i was wondering why she does it. When i get up in the morning my dog will hop on the bed for morning snuggles. Just a happy dog like normal. lately after a couple of pats,kisses and "your such a good girl" from me she will bury her face on my blankets and rub her face in them, with the occasional peak up to see if i'm looking. I find is extremely adorable and then she gets more love from me after she does it.
I know that a lot of things dogs do that we think is love can be translated into dominance behavior (like the dog who leans against you). would this actions shes pick up be dominance or she just knows that if she does this he getting more positive attention?

Thank you for answering my question!
Stacy

Answer
This is a benign behavior and my dog does it too (and yes it's very cute).  If you reward it by giving extra attention, it might become annoying.  Just let the dog do her thing, it's sort of like us rubbing our eyes in the morning.  The proprietary behavior you suggest is more like a dog coming straight to you and rubbing his or her face along your pants legs or knees but this, too, is a "marking" behavior that indicates affiliation:  "I like you, you're mine".

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.