Canine Behavior/help

i wanna get a labrador soon...mayb next year.the fact that they dont bark always,are extremely loving and friendly drew me to getting a labrador over any other breed.i just love them.but one thing that worries me is they shed a lot and room gets filled with furs everywhere.its a major concern when it flies and drops over some food item.could u advice how to manage such shedding or ways on how people with labradors(particularly) manage?

All dogs shed.  The Labrador Retriever does not shed as much as one would think and there are grooming tools available (shedding blades, for example, and good soft brush for daily brushing outside) that eliminate or minimize hair loss indoors.  But the Lab BARKS, all dogs BARK, it's a method of natural communication.  The way to "control" barking you do not want is ultimately to "capture" the barking (train it and teach a "stop").  Working with a dog consistently with positive reinforcement (a dog that is secure in your care) will effectively reduce (in sound) barks you don't want but it will not affect barks you DO want: every dog will bark in situations that the dog thinks requires an *alarm* for you.  Temperament of the Labrador Retriever is heavily dependent upon BREEDING.  Not every Lab is a great companion.  You must find a good breeder, observe his/her breeding dogs, ask questions of those who have puppies from these dogs, and then allow the breeder to help you select a puppy that is most suitable for you.  I wish you much success in your search for your companion!

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.