Canine Behavior/bed time behaviour

Question
Hi, I have a 16 month old jack Russell. I thought I had purchased him at 8weeks old but my vet was sure he was younger. When I got him home he continuously suckled on my fingers, or my parents fingers when he chose to doze off on them. My vet said this was because of how young he actually was and he would grow out of it.
Well he's kind of grew more into it as he's got older. He now lies on his back, against me, holding my hand with his front paws and gently chews my thumb until he is asleep. My parents joke that they know when he's ready to go to bed because he will find me and litterally hold my hand until I sit down on the sofa or bed and let him chew away. I've tried withholding my hand from him, ignoring him when he's trying to get my hand. I use my hand palm down and flat when commanding him to not jump up, which he follows except in this case. All efforts end with him following me around the house or sitting staring at me, whining for hours.
Apart from this situation he is an example dog; learnt commands quickly, very social with other dogs and people, was brilliant in his puppy classes. He has a lot of energy so I walk him for an hour twice a day.
I also have a 7 year old jack Russell bitch who will sleep the majority of the day, and shun a second walk.
I would love some advice on how to deal with this needy bedtime behaviour??

Answer
Allow it.  Every living creature is important and I know the "world" does not follow my lifetime observation.  This dog was separated from his dam (mother) at far too young an age, or perhaps was in a large litter or a first litter and this is harmless. IT IS A JUVENILE BEHAVIOR and you need to do NOTHING except allow it.  The dog requires it for a reason I could write many paragraphs in answer.  The end result: benign behavior, dog requires it, it does you no harm.  Allow it.  And refuse the advice and criticism of those who apparently have no empathy.  Just do it.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.