Canine Behavior/dog

my springer spaniel keeps weeing in his bed and i can't get him out of it what can i do.
many thanx trev.

I'm going to need far more information before I can begin to answer this question for you.

Please use the reply button to and answer the following:

1. How old is the springer spaniel?

2. How long have you had him?

3. How long has he been peeing on his bed?

4. Where is his bed located?

5. Is this occurring when people are home or when people are away or both?

6. Is he potty trained other than this particular location? Does he go potty outside with ease? Does he have ready access to the outside such as a doggie door, or does he request to go outside for the purpose of potty with consistency?

7. At what time of day is he peeing on his bed? Morning (before waking up for the day), evening, middle of the night - all/most peeing happens on his bed?

8. Is the bed in a confinement area such as a crate or inside a playpen or a room that he's closed into for confinement?

9. Has the vet checked him out for a bladder or urinary infection or stones or other urinary health issues?

10. What have you done so far to try to modify this behavior?

10a. What do you use to clean up the pee from the bed?

10b. How do you respond to your dog when you find he's peed on the bed again?

10c. How does your dog respond to you when you find a fresh pee on his bed?

11. How often are you present for potties that happen in the correct location and how do you respond when he does go in the right place?

12. Are you catching him in the middle of the act when he pees on his bed? If so, how do you respond when you actually see him peeing on his bed? If not, see question 10b.

With more detail about your specific circumstance, I will be better able to offer suggestions specific to your situation. I look forward to your prompt reply.

Los Angeles Behavior Specialist

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT

IF YOU BELIEVE YOUR DOG IS ILL OR INJURED, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM TO ADDRESS URGENT MEDICAL ISSUES. I AM NOT A LICENSED VET AND HAVE NO DIAGNOSTIC SKILLS. ***I have been answering questions on All Experts for over 5 years now. I enjoy being able to offer assistance in this forum. I do need to be clear, though. If you’re looking for free advice about a specific behavior question, you MUST submit your question to me via All Experts. If you bypass All Experts and write to me directly through my website, I will ask you to submit via All Experts. On the flip side, if you’re local to Los Angeles and you wish to speak to me privately about an in person consultation, please go through my website. I appreciate your assistance in keeping my volunteer work on the volunteer site.*** I can answer questions about the following canine behavior issues: obedience, timid/fearful & fear-based aggression, nuisance behaviors, families that are expanding with either new human or new animal members. If you have potty training questions please first read my trio of blogs at If you still have questions after reading the blogs you can post your specific questions here. PLEASE be as specific as possible when asking a question. Give me a detailed example of the situation - dog's behavior, body language, circumstances surrounding the issue, what the consequences are (another dog's response, your response), etc. I can only provide insight if I can get a picture of the whole scenario. If I ask for further details, please provide them. In person I would normally observe for at least 90 minutes to assess the situation and the dynamics before offering tools and suggestions to modify it. In writing it is ever so much more difficult. Thank you for your participation in the process.

I have been professionally modifying behavior and training obedience for 7 years. I have owned dogs my entire life. I have just changed the name of my business. It is no longer Good Dog! Dog Training. The new name is Nutz About Mutz!. If you see previous questions with the Good Dog! website information, that is my response.

I am a Certified Profession Dog Trainer - Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA), #2133301 ; I am a member in good standing with the Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT), #77763 ; I am an AKC certified Canine Good Citizen evaluator (CGC), #71253

Publications ; ; Multiple articles in the local pet magazine Pet Press (found across Southern California)

I have a graduate education in animal behavior and learning. (While I completed my coursework and did the requisite research, I did not defend a dissertation. I am qualified, but not certified and so technically not a doctor. This is commonly referred to as Ph.D.-ABD which means All But Dissertation.) My educational focus was with non-human primates, but my personal interest is with domestic dogs and their relationships with humans and other animals. I continue to educate myself to canine-specific behavior through extensive reading, online interactive workshops, vidoes and attending canine behavior conferences.