Canine Behavior/dog behavior and eating habits

I have an 10 month old male itbull that has to eat and drink nonstop.and now he won't leave my side . He sleeps right literally against me sits tucked against me sits. If I get up he gets up. This has been going on non stop for over a week. In the car he has to be by my side but fights be on my lap. What might. Causevthis?? He also has a sudden severe thirst issue.

Your dog may be exhibiting signs of serious illness:  kidney function (or failure) being one of them.  He needs a comprehensive veterinary examination.  This includes:  complex blood chemistry (not just a CBC), significant examination (palpation) of abdomen to rule out overt internal organ problems; base line neurological examination.  The sudden severe thirst issue is very concerning to me.

Find a VERY GOOD veterinarian, not just the "guy on the corner".  Ask around. If there is a veterinary teaching university and hospital within reasonable driving distance, call and make an appointment with a veterinary internist.  If not, ask them for referral to same.

I would be very surprised if blood test results (comprehensive blood test) came back perfectly "normal".  I think this dog is suffering, perhaps even in pain (given his apparent and sudden need to be as close to you as possible) and that he may require medication, at least.  Please report back after test results (which will take a couple of weeks after the initial exam, and which will require you to make a second visit in order to obtain, and discuss with veterinarian).  Use followup feature,  please, so I can see original question/answer.  THIS IS NOT BEHAVIORAL.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.