Canine Behavior/Incessant whining

Question
Hello Ms. Friedman.

I have a ten-year old, male, neutered, Border Terrier. He lives in my house and I live alone although when he was growing up my husband was alive, and my children were around. It is clear my children and I remain part of his "pack". I regularly have people over for many hours.

He is well fed, always has water and gets walked. We got him as a puppy so he has never been abused (I do not believe in physical reprimands). When I am alone with him he does not whine except for a clear objective ("share your sandwich with me!" or "I need to go out"). Likewise, when my children are here with me he does not whine. We can, for example, watch TV for a few hours and he rests by our feet, hangs out or sleeps nearby. No whining.

But, when I have any person over (a non-pack member) and in the same room with me, even when they stay for hours, he whines incessantly (literally for hours), usually while focused on the person, and not on me--that is the whining is directed at them. There are a number of different people I employ who stay here for hours at a time. They walk him, give him food some play with him a bit and one of them plays with him a lot. His whining is the same towards each one.

However, if the person leaves the room where I am, he stops whining. Likewise, if I leave the room where he is and he is alone with the person, the whining stops.

It is only the combination of me in the same room with the person where he does this. I have tried giving him treats when he is not whining to reinforce that absence of whining, which has had no effect. I have tried saying "no!" when he is whining--which does work, but only for about one minute, at most. It is driving me a bit crazy and is quite unpleasant.

This behavior started at least three years ago, but it has gotten progressively worse. Do you have any notion about what might be the cause here? Any suggestions for what I might try to alleviate it?

Thank you,

Susanne

Answer
I decided to answer this question after all, even though you didn't follow the instructions in my bio, and so, apparently, didn't read it. While I wish you had taken the time, I decided to take the time to respond as I think your question is an interesting behavioral one. I have a few questions of my own before responding more fully:

1. How long has your husband been gone?
2. We're you together with your Border Terrier frequently?
3. What was your dog's relationship like with your husband?
4. When your dog whines, do you allow your dog to stay in the room, focused on the other individual? Have you ever tried removing him (your dog) from the room in which your visitor is?
5. Can you think of anything that might be reinforcing the behavior, such as attention, visitors feeding your dog, etc.?
6. Would you mind reading my bio and agreeing to its terms as described, but only if you fully intend to do what I request?

Madeline

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.