Canine Behavior/aggression

Question
Hello, I have 2 3 year old Staffordshire Terriers siblings (male and female). I rescued them when they were 10 weeks old. We have not had many issues with these dogs, the normal rough play no biting extremely lovable dogs. Just recently they have become aggressive with each other. I have only seen it twice... once with play time which consisted of socks that they are allowed to have for play. In this instance the aggression was instigated by the female. She wanted the sock that he had and pounced on him. Next, I brought in a new dog bed for them to share (which they do frequently) the male instigated this episode. He did not want her to get on the bed. She got on the bed when he went away and he pounced on her. They do play rough which is something that we control and don't let get out of hand. In both episodes of aggression they did immediately stop when I said stop. In the second episode my male dog did scratch the female on the head..deep enough to cause very minimal amount of blood. In both instances they growled and barked.

Answer
Siblings (direct siblings and the product of future breeding by same pair) are a problem.  The male "should" acquiesce to the female, but it isn't always so.  In this case:

Remove everything that produces this rank opportunistic aggression between these two dogs.  No more socks; beds in separate places - perhaps even three beds in one place.

You need to determine who is who in this relationship.  I'm assuming the bitch is spayed and the dog is neutered?  If not: neuter the dog, first.

In order to determine their self perceived struggle for social hierarchy, you really need an expert.  I can't see anything from here.  Find a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (NOT a dog trainer!):

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

Can this situation be rehabilitated?  YES!  Eyes on, by a real professional, will instruct you on which dog is actually "defending" its true "social rank".  You will then be instructed on how to deal with both dogs: what to reward, how to intervene, what to avoid, etc.  If I were to come into your home, I would put both dogs on Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) with the more clearly identified "higher up" in social rank first.  I can't give you any protocol because I can't see your situation.

Put house tabs on both dogs (lightweight leash, handle cut off).  If you see a problem developing, remove the dog that appears to be the instigator (watch body language) by simply picking up the house tab, and redirecting that dog to another room for a "sit".  Even suggesting this is questionable because, should you so restrain the "wrong" dog, you will be adding to the problem.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.