Canine Behavior/Bone burying in blanket

Question
My 10 month old Vizsla enjoys burying his chew toys in the bedding and then chewing them through the sheet, blanket or sofa throw.  While just burying his toys is not a problem, chewing bedding is not acceptable behavior.    I try handing him the toy and encouraging him when he chews his toys while NOT buried, but behavior persists.  I have enjoyed the companionship of Vizslas for the past twenty years and understand they need two hours of cardio activity per day - I don't believe this behavior is a result of lack of exercise.   Thank you !  Michelle

Answer
Hi Michelle.

Interesting question, thank you!  

It seems to me that what your Vizsla adolescent is doing is a combination of behaviors. First is the "cacheing" of his chew toys, a behavior with which you're probably familiar. Second is his very innovative method of creating a plush toy for himself by covering his chew toys with blankets and sheets, basically soft items.

Keep doing what you're doing, which is redirecting your boy to appropriate chew locations. I would suggest disallowing him from chewing on soft sofas, which means you may need to supervise him and redirect him when he chooses sofas, beds and the like. Additionally, if his chew toys are hard, see if he might enjoy somw chew toys which are softer. A rope toy is something he might enjoy. These can be dipped I'm water and frozen, which is especially nice for dogs on hot summer days. I would supervise him when chewing rope toys. He may also enjoy some interactive play (fetch, e.g.) with plush toys. These are toys I suggest dogs play with only under supervision as well, lest they tear them apart and ingest stuffing or other parts.

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to follow up. Hope my suggestions help, and enjoy your Vizsla!

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman  

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.