Canine Behavior/My female Chihuahua suddenly hates to be butt-sniffed. Why?

Question
I've adopted an approximately two year old neutered female rescue in May '13. There's nothing known about her past life as she was found as a stray. As far as I can tell she was socialized pretty well. In the beginning she was totally fine with other dogs, being rather curious and friendly. Suddenly she started hating to be butt-sniffed. She will stand stiff, tail held high, let the dog approach and suddenly air snap. But other than that, she is still fine with other dogs. She doesn't get agitated by the sight of other dogs, doesn't bark at them and will walk up to them to greet if I let her. She is an overall relaxed and stable dog. This started suddenly after I had her for about six months. Until recently I thought this might be a behavioral 'issue' and was looking for a trainer/class. A friend pointed out to me that she might have a medical issue and after checking a few things I was thinking, she could have an issues with her anal glands. She scoots on carpets once in a while, has sometimes loose stools(vet checked this - no parasites, allergies; we figured she scooped something bad for her off the ground) and recently I noticed a bad breath. She also bites the base of her tail a few times a day.

I'm going to make an appointment with our vet on Monday. But so far, what do you think?

Thank you very much in advance!

Answer
I think: your friend might be correct!

First: vet check.  While there, scrutinize diet with the Vet.  If the dog is "scooting" she is uncomfortable.  Loose stool produces bacteria around the anus and it HURTS/itches/burns.  The food is affecting her stool production in a manner that does not seem healthy.  Also: bad breath can be not only dentally related (tartar buildup) but also stomach related (acidity, discomfort, indigestion, etc.)  Talk to the vet about a healthier KIBBLE.  You don't necessarily have to spend a fortune at a pet supply store for a healthier kibble: you just have to avoid the junk, and there's lots of it.

Let's start with the Vet.  Report back using followup feature so I can see original Q & A.  Also:  When you FIRST REALIZE she is obtaining the stance (stand stiff, tail high), circle her immediately with a very happy, low keyed sing-song "Oh yay, come on, yay" until she is visibly calm (will take only a few seconds), then go on as planned.

Good owner! Very good owner!  lol

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.