Canine Behavior/problem with my dog

Question
I have a male unneutered jack russel and I also have 4 other female neutered dogs in my house all of a sudden the jack russel is obcessed with humping my female neutered pit bull they have been together several years and this has never been like this before and he don't offer to bother the other females can you give me some advice on this matter

Answer
Humping behavior is really only sexual in nature when you have an intact male and an intact female who is in (or near) her heat cycle. Outside of that scenario, it is a social behavior. It's often poor play skills or an effort to control a situation that is overwhelming to the dog who is doing the humping.

Play behavior is made up of all the behaviors that individuals might need in order to survive. Play is essentially rehearsing life skills - for dogs this includes stalking, chasing, attacking (wrestling), tugging, catching, and mating, among others. Most dogs learn that the mating portion of that rehearsal isn't a very fun game for the recipient (they get told off) and so cut that particular rehearsal from their play repertoire.

Some dogs who become overstimulated/overwhelmed by an activity will try to control a situation to feel more secure or to calm themselves. This is often accomplished by the humping behavior. If you've ever seen two dogs wrestling/chasing hard and a third dog is in the space, that third dog will often jump in and mount one of the other dogs involved in that game. It's believed that this is an effort to calm everyone and regain some sense of control of his environment. It's not a dominance issue as he's not trying to gain priority access to food, mates, sleeping spots, etc. He's trying to settle the energy in the space because it's just too much for him.

Some dogs will use humping/mounting in an effort to solicit play or attention. I have two dogs - Chewie and Hagrid. Chewie will often be enjoying a long lasting chew toy when Hagrid decides he wants to play. Hagrid will sometimes try to engage Chewie by mounting him and humping. I find this to be a rather rude social interaction - not a very polite invitation to play - and so I tell him, "Stop humping your brother." This is sufficient for him to stop that behavior and move on to something else, whether it's a solo game, a game with me or another tactic to get Chewie to play with him.

So, there are a number of reasons why your dog is mounting your female. If you'd like, you may reply to this and provide details about a typical incident when this occurs - what is the female doing? What are other dogs in the space doing? What was your male doing just before he begins this behavior? How does he get along with her outside of this behavior? How does she react to this behavior of his? If she tells him off, how does he respond to that? With more information, I might be able to provide a more likely motivation for this behavior and what you might do to interrupt or prevent it - if it bothers you or the female.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT