Canine Behavior/fear, anxiety

Question
We had four dogs. Mother 7 years old and her male and female offspring at  5 years. We alsi have a smaller dog. Three months ago, not knowing the gate had been opened, they left the yard and wondered off. The mother and daughter were struck by a car on main road and died immediatly. The son ran off after it happened and we found him a mile away. For awhile he seemed to search for them when i let him in the yard. Barking in the direction of where they had ran. I havent been walking him due to the bad weather but hace taken him on car rides with no problem and into the pet store. Yesterday we took him to the park and started off fine but while on the car path a car drove near and he got scared and tried to run. He dragged me back to the car and on way home he tried to bury his fave under my arm. Later that night i tried to walk him again. He was fearful and whining after a short diatance so i brought him home. Today i put him in car for a ride and now when i got to the corner of main road he again got scared whereas ive mentioned car rides were never a problem. Now i hace no clue what to do for him.

Answer
This is a genuine tragedy.  Unfortunately, this "male offspring" witnessed the death of the other two dogs and has a strong conditioned response to cars.

Do NOT bring him, or force him, into a situation where he will see MANY CARS at the same time (if you can.)  You need to work very hard on counter conditioning and avoid any (if possible) repeat of being flooded (many cars passing at once, or even one car passing at high speed in close proximity).

First:  teach "attention" as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8dC8-U1BT4&feature=more_related

It shouldn't take more than 30 (at most) "trials" for the dog to "get it" and this must be done in a totally safe place, then taken outdoors in another safe place, then used in places where other dogs or cars might be present: IF HE FAILS one of these exterior "tests", start over in the house in a safe place for a few days.

Second:  until he obtains the cue that "attention" is rewarded and has a conditioned response to same, IF you are walking him you must observe him VERY carefully.  You will see subtle body signals: ears will go sideways or back, tail will either come up dramatically or droop dramatically, hackles may rise, dog may pant, eyes will roll, he will be licking his lips.  Don't wait for full blown fight/flight response.  Instead, STOP walking forward (casually); if he responds to "attention" heavily reward and start walking in a large circle, left, right.  Even if he does not respond to the "attention" training (at first), walking a dog in a circle changes his brain wave patterns as well as your own.  While doing this, use a happy, upbeat voice, say "yay, yay, come on, come on, yay" as you go.  The circling and vocal encouragement will disconnect the fight/flight response and engage cognition.  As soon as he is GIVING ATTENTION, stop, handful of treats (low fat string cheese, chicken franks), go forward until the next encounter.

Third: actively avoid any venue that elicits fear while you are working on attention and counter conditioning.  If dog park is near car paths, avoid them.  If you feel you need to walk the dog off your property, put him in the car first.  Sit.  Do nothing.  As soon as he relaxed, offer treat, start car.  Go about two blocks.  Take dog out of parked car and walk back home. If he is in a "hurry", just STOP.  Wait until he is calm, circle as described above, go forward.  Encourage verbally so long as he is not visibly fearful or desperately in need to get home.  You can increase the length/distance of this walk by driving a little bit further every day SO LONG AS THE DOG does not demonstrate ANY anxiety regarding the drive itself or the walk back to "home".

Try this for the next few days.  You should see some slight improvement but it might take some time (possibly even months) for this dog to lose his conditioned fear response.  Don't hesitate to use followup feature for any questions.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.