Canine Behavior/Owner passed away and dog won't let us sleep through the night

Question
We inherited my mother-in-law's miniature dachshund, Frank E, over a year ago when she passed away.  He is now 5.5 years old.  When we first got Frank E, my son took care of him, and Frank E slept in his room with him on his bed.  Six months ago my son left for college, so my husband and I are now Frank E's caretakers.  The problem we are having is that Frank E wakes up my husband at least once per night.  This is a big problem because my husband has many medical issues and doesn't get enough sleep already, and having to get up with Frank E even once per night is having a more negative impact on his already poor health.  Frank E usually wakes him up to go potty, but sometimes he wakes him up if he is out of water or can't find his chew bone.  We have tried to limit his water intake at night and before bed, but he will wake us up if he drinks all his water.  His food and water are out and available for him whenever he is out of his crate, but he will only eat in the evening and during the night.  He can go for at least 8 hours in his crate, and even when out of the crate during the day when we are home, without having to go potty.  Our sleeping time is only about 6-7 hours, so it seems like he should be able to hold it at least that long.  How can we get him to sleep through the night?  Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Answer
I think I need a little more information in order to better answer this question. I must let you know, I'm going out of town and may not receive your reply until I get back next weekend. But I will respond to it if I do get it (sometimes followups come through even if I'm on a vacation hold).

Frank E is crate trained. Is he comfortable in the crate? Does he have activities to occupy him when in there such as a chew bone? How much time does he spend in his crate over the course of a given day? And how long at a stretch is he in the crate, followed by how long out of the crate?

You indicated that he has food available at all times when he's out of his crate but that he doesn't actually eat until evening or during the night. At what time does he typically eat? How much food are you providing in his bowl - the recommended amounts on the bag of kibble are daily amounts, not meal amounts. What does he eat? What kinds of treats does he get and at what times of day and by whom and for what reason (e.g. he's just too cute, as reward for doing skills or tricks, because you're eating, so he gets a bite, etc)?

Where does he spend his nights right now? In his crate? On your bed? On a bed in your room? Roaming the house - sleeping anywhere he chooses?

What kind of exercise does he get each day - both physical (e.g. walks, running around, playing fetch, tug, etc) and mental exercise (e.g. problem solving activities such as food dispensing puzzle toys, interactive puzzle toys that require a little more supervision, hide-and-seek with toys or food for him to sniff out and find, etc)?

Did he sleep through the night when he stayed in your son's room? Ask him if he had to get up with Frank E regularly and if so - for what reasons.

What is the nightly ritual beginning from about 4pm until bedtime? What time does he wake up and disturb your husband (or the window if it's not exactly the same time each night)? About how long before a second disturbance and any others?

Generally, young and healthy dogs should sleep through the night without interruption. So there is a chance that there's a medical condition that may need to be addressed. I encourage you to have Frank E get a complete check up, including blood work that includes a full thyroid panel. Discuss with the vet the specific issues that you're experiencing as they may provide insight to look for certain medical conditions.

If he's truly of sound health, then the next step would be addressing his daily activities and nightly routines so that he's actually tired enough and used to the routine enough to sleep through the night.

Please use the followup button in this reply to answer these questions and I will asnwer them as soon as I receive the reply.

I look forward to your respnose.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT