Canine Behavior/Separation Anxiety Questions

Question
Dear Madeline, I have read you biography and I promise to read and rate your response within three days.  I understand that your time is valuable, that you are most likely spending at least 45 minutes of your time in response to my question, and I understand too that when questioners read and rate your responses fairly that you make random donations to animal shelters to help homeless animals.  In the interest of being appreciative of your time AND helping shelter dogs and cats, I agree that I will rate your response and give you fair feedback. - I think it's fantastic that you are donating to animal shelters, I do that pretty often myself, so I most definitely will rate your response, thank you so much for doing that. : )
Anyway, we rescued a 1 year old chinook, german shepherd, lab mix (we know her exact lineage because we had her DNA tested)
She has some separation "issues" when we leave the house for any length of time. We would love to allow her to be out of her crate eventually when we leave for work so she can move around as she pleases, but we are just not at that point yet. So right now she gets a kong filled with special treats (salmon skin roll, and other very healthy non-filler type treats) when she is in her crate. This is usually for about 6 hours a day. She gets walks 4-5 times a day as well, we don't have a yard so this is most of her daily exercise. We have tried leaving for small increments of time but we have found that 15 minutes is her maximum time she can be alone before she starts to tear up the house. Being a 60lb dog, she can be quite destructive in a very short period of time. I think its important to mention that we did have a reputable trainer come to the house, he confirmed with us that she is an anxious dog by nature (she was a stray before we adopted her so we know very little about her history). He wanted us to practice "Stay" drills with her so she can gain some trust and confidence being on her own. We can walk into another room while she is in the "Stay" command. But this skill has not transferred over to us being able to leave her out just yet. I wanted to know if you had any advice or suggestions on other training tips we can try with her. We are extremely dedicated and will do whatever it takes to get her into a healthier state of mind. We just want whats best for her.

Answer
Hi, Ashley,

Thanks for your question submission and for noting the Virtual Contract. Since you mentioned you worked with a reputable trainer, and it sounds to me as if he did what you also believe is a valid assessment of your dog's behavior as well as start you off in the correct manner with what sounds like the proper training skill(s), I would suggest you continue with him. Behavior modifying separation anxiety in dogs is a step-by-step process which can go quickly with some dogs, or take many months with others. In any such cases, there are too many variables to control as well as necessary frequent follow-ups at each crucial phase of training that would be impossible to appropriately address in this venue, particularly with so few details. Thanks again for your submission, I hope you understand why I've responded as I have as a professional. This is the fairest answer I can provide based on the limitations of this venue, which is no fault of this wonderful venue itself; what I know about the details of your situation (not that much); and, is also the fairest response for the reputable trainer who has put in some intelligent effort working in your behalf.   I do believe from a training standpoint that 'too many cooks spoil the broth.'. That is, too many training techniques from more than one trainer can confuse both the humans and the dogs, even if all the techniques are positive reinforcement based.  I do hope you continue with the trainer who does, indeed, sound reputable from the few details you've provided. Best of luck!

Madeline Friedman, M.A.
Delray Beach Dog Trainer. com
Ny-njDogTrainer.com

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.