Canine Behavior/Older Dog Not Letting my Other Dog Play with New Puppy

Question
I have 3 dogs well 2 dogs and 1 puppy - our oldest dog is about 10, we are not sure of exact age because she was a rescue.  We have had her for 9 years, our 2nd dog is 7 and our puppy is 5 mths and we have had her for 3 months.  The problem is our oldest dog.  When our 7 year dog and the puppy begin to play the 10 year old dog goes into attack mode towards the 7 year old dog.  The 7 year old dog does not get aggressive back.  The 10 year old dog is very respective to us and responds when we correct her but we have to remove her from the area when the other 2 begin to play because she starts barking then growing at the 7 year old dog and once went to bite her.  Why is the older dog acting this way with the 7 year old dog - the older dogs have been together since the 7 year old dog was 8 weeks old.

Answer
The older dog is doing what is called "splitting".....she may have some loss of cognition (age related) or not have ever been socialized to puppies (even while a puppy herself).  The puppy's behavior is alarming her.  She is making a statement to the other dog to "back off".

I suggest you give the 7 yo and puppy a play time when the older dog has been safely and humanely put in a special "place" where she can't hear or see the activity.  In this "place" she should have a toy such as a Buster Cube (as dog rolls it around, food dispenses), a soft bed, and should never perceive confinement as anything but pleasurable (which means she must receive extra special attention, alone, in that space a few times a day for a few minutes).

BE ADVISED that "play" is not, between and among dogs, as it is between and among Human children.  Play can be "fun" for dogs but there is ALWAYS an element of social hierarchy involved.  The 7 YO is actually engaging the puppy in an attempt to establish social hierarchy.  The older dog may be disciplining the 7 yo for doing this.  I can't see anything from here.

The problem here might be further remedied by a visit to a GOOD veterinarian.  Not just any generalist, one who understands dog behavior.  You may tray a veterinary behaviorist from one of the following links:

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/
http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/

If your 10 yo is not exhibiting any other unusual confusion, then loss of cognition is not the problem but her anxiety is over the top in regard to that puppy.  The veterinary behaviorist may suggest a medication for her but will also advise you on how to manage the situation before it gets worse.

You may also need the help of a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist whose "eyes on" can give you a very detailed explanation of what is really happening.  You may find one in your area from the following links (NOT A DOG TRAINER, a CAAB):

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.