Canine Behavior/Papillionx afraid of bigger dogs.

Question
I am wondering how i can get my small young dog to be relaxed about bigger dogs. He has not shown any signs of an aggressive nature, He is usually calm, energetic and friendly.
He is a 7 month old desexed Papillion x (crossed with what we aren't sure)and only recently he has become extremely fearful of bigger dogs. there has been no previous socialization with bigger dogs that has turned sour. He plays just fine with dogs who are close to his size.
When we are at the park and a bigger dog approaches him he runs away as fast as he can yelping and crying. He's only little and the bigger dog easily catches up and tries to play. often my dog will run into a corner of the park and be backed up against a wall. he will then turn on the bigger dog and become quite aggressive towards it, barking and snarling, curling his upper lip baring his teeth, ears back and whatnot. So far this has not been too bad because the bigger dogs have been quite laid back and not reacted too much.
I am concerned that the next time a bigger dog approaches mine it may turn into a fight. A bigger dog would easily demolish my little one.
I have considered keeping him on leash and not taking him to the park.
Is their any way I can reduce his fear of bigger dogs?
Hope you can help!
Eleanor

Answer
STAY AWAY FROM DOG PARKS.  It is not uncommon for a perfectly normal, friendly, bidable and charming small dog breed to be fearful of larger dogs: I have one myself.  She was a rescue from a seriously neglectful home and was more than two years of age when I acquired her.  She had no socialization whatever except to the cats in the home and then another small breed dog introduced.  She was not house trained; she had not even been vaccinated, let alone GROOMED.

Best defense is good offense: on the street, when a larger dog is IN YOUR SIGHT and clearly approaching, prepare to distract your dog upon HER sight of the OTHER dog. Even if she begins to react by giving attention, barking, etc., immediately begin a very large circle, left, then right, during which time you will use a very happy silly voice and say anything you choose:  "LOOK WHAT A PRETTY DAY IT IS, AREN'T YOU HAPPY, COME WITH ME".  After many repetitions (perhaps up to 50 or more), your small breed dog will begin to SOMEWHAT lose her apprehension at the approach of a larger dog.  You must always be ready to re-direct her in this manner.  I have a neighbor with a small Doxie mix who is using this method and IT WORKS. I have another neighbor whose Min Pin is terrified of other dogs and we are using this method when our dogs meet AND IT IS WORKING for him, he is losing his fear of my dog.  Be persistent and calm, and upbeat.  Keep circling until the larger dog has passed, then go forward as normal.

Dog parks are, to me, a horror.  Far too many out of control dogs with clueless owners.  All it takes is ONE large breed dog to react with a fight/flight response to your dog's reaction and your dog can be DEAD.  Dogs do NOT need "play time" with other dogs.  They are not human children.  "Play" between/among dogs is ALWAYS a test of social hierarchy.  A good, friendly, kind dog will "play" in a good, friendly, kind way.  Another dog might not.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.