Canine Behavior/Scared of birds

My daughter just recentlt got a bird and the sound of the chirping and dropping seed has my 8 year old peruvian hairless scared hes shaking, hiding and not eating what can i do

I am fairly certain your daughter has her own room.  I suggest you put a VERY LARGE FLIGHT CAGE in that room with perches, cuttle bone, two to three feed stations and two water stations in that cage and confine the bird to the room.  Birds bond with Humans whom they see sleeping; so long as the bird is not neglected by your daughter (meaning, sufficient interaction throughout the day), the bird should be fine.  I have no idea what sort of bird this is: if it is a parrot, it requires a great deal of interaction, like having a three year old child.

Putting this bird in its own safe space where your daughter sleeps will eliminate any effects its behavior is having on your dog.

Many breeds and breed types respond to caged birds in the house with a strong predatory reaction.  Your dog, at age eight, and having never been socialized to this sort of "creature", is reacting in rather the same manner that you or I would should an "alien" being suddenly appear in our environment!  If your daughter is unwilling to keep the bird in her room, then she is not able to take responsibility for her own animal companion and the bird should be returned.

Eventually, the dog will habituate to the sounds of the bird coming from her room but it's highly unlikely the dog will ever habituate to its constant presence in its own living space.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.