Canine Behavior/Strange New Eating Behavior

Question
For the last 3 days, my 2 year old Belgian Malinois/Am Staff mix has been picking up mouthfuls of kibble, slowly (head down, tail relaxed) walking over to me in the next room, then gently spitting his food out all over my lap. He's been on a prescription diet for several months, but prior to these new spitting incidents, he always ate it readily and immediately, straight from the bowl. Also, the first two times he "gave" me kibble, he immediately tried to slink onto the couch where I was sitting. We have never allowed him on the couch, and I told him "no" and he immediately got down. I know this is anthropomorphizing, but it was almost as if he was bribing me with kibble to let him go on the couch. I eventually got him to eat his kibble after pretending I took it out of the cat's kibble bag. The cat has recently reclaimed more territory in the home (including the couch at night when the dog is crated, but can see the couch), so I'm wondering if that has something to do with this. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Answer
That's an interesting new behavior. I've known many dogs who eat "take out" and will take a mouthful of kibble, drop it elsewhere and eat them one kibble at a time. Sometimes, simply dropping it on the ground, sometimes taking it to another room. Dogs are social animals and will sometimes bring the food to where the social activity is happening in the house so they can be part of it.

That this is a sudden onset new behavior, suggests there may be something else going on. When was his last vet check? If this were happening with one of my dogs, I'd be first looking for digestive or dental issues. Does his tummy hurt? How are his poops? How is his overall energy - interest in playing his usual games, greeting, cuddling, etc. How is his mouth? Does it seem to be sensitive? Is he hesitant to eat hard treats the way he's hesitant to eat his kibble? Is he playing tug less intensely or only using one side of his mouth or refusing to play that game? There may be a medical issue that needs addressing, and fixing that is likely to fix the new behavior.

If he gets a clean bill of health from teeth to gut, then it may be an attention seeking behavior. Try sitting in a different location (not on the couch) and see if he still brings the food to you, and if he tries to cuddle or if he goes across the room to get on the couch - that will let you know if it's about you or the furniture. He may be bored and looking for activity. He may be lonely or scared about something (have you been having inclement weather recently?) and looking for more reassurance. Perhaps making meal time into a game or training session so that he's working for that kibble and getting some quality one-on-one time with you will get him excited about eating.

You can try putting a sprinkle of some special treat that he's allowed to have with his prescription diet - perhaps a sprinkle of shredded cheese or a tablespoon or two of a canned dog food (the prescription of they have it), or a few bites of chicken breast (all should be vet approved first since he's on a prescription diet) and mix that into the kibble. This may whet his appetite and encourage him to eat with gusto again. If that works, then I'd do it for a couple of days, then I'd halve the amount for a couple days, then halve it again for a couple days then stop.

But all of these suggestions are only to be considered after the vet has confirmed that he's not ill or injured and has no dental problems.

The cat's recent reclamation of territory in the home could be part of it. I don't have enough information about where the cat had previously been allowed to be, and where it is now to really be able to comment on that. Do they get along with each other? Why is the cat allowed on the couch and he's not? He could be testing the waters to see if he is now also allowed to be comfortable on the coveted furniture. I wouldn't think of it so much as a bribe, though, as perhaps an effort to distract you - maybe you won't notice he got up on the couch if you're busy with food.

I would look at the behavior of the cat in relation to the dog, and their relationship with each other as one possibility for the behavior change, but only after the vet has signed off on health and dental.

I hope this offers some useful possibilities. Please feel free to followup if I can be of further assistance.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT