Canine Behavior/Dog attacking puppy

Question
I have a 5 year old male American Bulldog. He has always been socialized and we have never had an issue with him or introducing him to new pets. We got a new puppy a year ago and he loved her. Sadly, that dog is no longer with us, and this week we got a new puppy. The puppy is a 10 week old female of the same breed. The first night we had her, my male snapped at her, cutting her eye and requiring a trip to the ER. That incident he was trying to turn around and bumped into her. Two days later he attacked her. Cutting her jaw pretty bad and leaving a few punctures, prompting another expensive ER visit. This incident occurred when he was chewing on a toy and the puppy tried to take it. He will also growl at the puppy whenever she comes around. I've never seen this behavior before, and this isn't our first puppy, so I am at a loss as to how to handle this.

Answer
Thank you for your question. My concern here is that your older dog has caused damage ssevere enough to require immediate medical attention. Twice.

The first time may have been incidental contact as you suggested. The second time may have been just teaching a puppy to mind her manners and respect his space (albeit with a greater intensity than is necessary), or it could have been resource guarding. The latter is a fear-based behavior and all social animals will display at times. Essentially it is when the individual feels that some item is valuable enough that it's worth protecting and fighting for. That item may be a toy, food, sleeping spot, water, room, doorway, a person... I've even seen dogs guard fallen leaves or sticks on the ground.

Without a more indepth discussion, I can't know what motivated your dog's behavior, though my knee-jerk reaction is resource guarding. And that may have played a role in the first incident as well even if you didn't recognize a trigger.

Resource guarding is actually a fairly easy behavior issue to treat. However, because there have already been two incidents with injuries, I STRONGLY encourage you to seek out proessional help rather than trying to fix this on your own. Because there are two dogs involved, we must make sure that BOTH dogs feel safe and are not stressed and so it's a bit more of a challenge than a dog who is guarding from a human.

In the meantime, management is key. Your puppy is in the middle of her socialization period. Each time the older dog lashes out at her, she's learning that big dogs are scary and not trustworthy and this will effect her behavior toward other dogs as she gets older. Therefore, it's imperative that we protect her from the older dog. This means that the puppy is not in the same space with the older dog outside of formal training set-ups with the guidance of a professional in person. And when they are in the same space, the older dog (at least until improveent occurs) should be in a basket muzzle. This allows for safety as well as the ability to provide food reward to the older dog for good behavior.

Here is an excellent video that teaches you how to teach your dog to love his muzzle.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FABgZTFvHo

As for the trainer you work with, I encourage you to interview any potential trainer.

Key words/equipment that you WANT to hear include: positive reinforcement, force free, desensitization, counter conditioning, reward based training, body harness, face collar, clicker; protocols include: Look At That, Behavior Adjustment Training, Click to Calm.

Giants of the industry for referene include: Jean Donaldson, Patricia McConnell, Grisha Stewart, Ian Dunbar, Pat Miller, Sophia Yin

Key words/equipment that you DO NOT want to hear include: balanced training, correction training, choke chain/check collar, prong/pinch collar, electronic/shock/vibration collar; techniques to avoid: yank/jerk/pop the leash, 'alpha roll', finger jabs to the neck, foot/toe to the ribs or kidneys, stringing up/hanging dog by collar/leash, helicoptering the dog (exactly what it sounds like).

Your vet may know a local professional tha they can refer to you. Or you may search for a trainer at the APDT website (association of Professional Dog Trainers): http://apdt.com/petowners/ts/

I'm sorry I can't be more specific help in this circumstnace. I wish you the best of luck. Please feel free to followup if I can be of further assistance.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com  

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT