Canine Behavior/Squirrels!

Question
Hi Dr. Connor- I have asked several questions in this forum previously, and your answers have been very helpful, so I'm back!  We have a 2yo male (neutered) shepherd/lab/?boxer cross.  Very smart, has completed Level 1 obedience and 4 levels of agility, and is now enrolled in nose-work classes.  He certainly has a mind of his own, but is a fast learner.  The problem: he is completely obsessed with squirrels.  I realize most dogs hate the little rodents, but he is beyond.  When he sees one while out on a walk, he fixates on it; depending on it's proximity, he will scream, leap in the air, try to follow it up a tree (or whatever), to the point where he has injured both my shoulders, and when I started using a waist leash, bunged up one of my knees.  He has also started to generalize, so he will check out most trees that we pass on a walk.  I can't get him to look at me, sit, or any of the other commands that he will perform willingly at other times.  Please help!  Thanks!

Answer
First: use a strong body harness (not a neck collar).  I would suggest a Halti as well but it appears this dog's prey drive is quite high and he might need some remediation that requires that prey drive to be captured (which means put under control to a cue) and further trained (to a 'target' prey, such as a large ball or stuffed animal).  I can't do this from a text box.  I suggest you find a certified applied animal behaviorist who can see with both eyes what I cannot see from here, and those things include the dog's alert warning, your full body response (which the dog sees even as YOU see a squirrel coming), his fixation on trees at this point (which can be easily counter conditioned), and the manner in which your response to his prey drive (which makes cognition impossible for him) has contributed (without your knowing it) to his extreme focus.  All of this can be remedied and the dog's prey drive can be controlled but I can't advise you how to do it in a text box.  It would be unprofessional, first; and if I were to make a mistake after asking you a page of questions and getting a page of answers, it could be harmful.

Find a CAAB (NOT a dog trainer) by calling the veterinary college in your area OR seeing the following sites:

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

MEANWHILE:  using the body harness (so the dog no longer suffers any result from pulling against the collar around his neck, even if it is a martingale), do the following after FIRST working to teach the dog "attention" at home indoors, and then in places (like large empty parking lots: schools on weekends, libraries, etc.) where squirrels are less likely to be seen.  (Remember: this is nesting season and breeding season for squirrels so they are very active in the northeast especially):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8dC8-U1BT4&feature=more_related

This particular skill involves the dog's cognition: if he is in the middle of a prey drive response, it will not work.  Therefore, it has to work ten out of ten times (first indoors, then in the yard, then in places where squirrels are not readily seen) before it will work in a real world situation.  In such a situation, it is necessary for YOU to be on alert for squirrels (ok kinda like walking on water, I know), but watching your dog's body language (ear set and tail set are signs) that he is being engaged by his prey drive and INTERVENING.

The intervention goes like this: the dog has learned "attention" earns reward.  The dog must be led, deliberately and calmly with an upbeat "come along, come along" signal in circles left, right, figure eight, until the dog is visibly no longer responding to prey drive but is giving attention: stop, highly reward, go forward.  Since we can't predict the appearance of squirrels (and this may generalize to anything including birds), we must be at the "ready" at all times and eyes on by a CAAB is going to be much more productive than anything I can share with you in this venue.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.