Canine Behavior/update

Hi Jill, I received your reply to my question re my Chi today. Thank you very much indeed. However I'm unsure about something. Also I wanted to say that although she is 5 years, I have only had her since last Sept (2013)and I have never had a dog before so I am learning from scratch so to speak. She does have a harness when we are out not a collar. Re the turning in a circle and then back the other way and then a figure of 8? Is this all done on the spot? Do I cross from the oncoming dog to the other side of the rd?? or is this done while the other dog is passing??

I don't think my chi was treated particularly well before i got her, i know she was carried everywhere in a bag so I'm guessing Lots of things are going to come up, that i am going to have to find solutions too.

many thanks again

Yep your dog is totally unsocialized to other dogs and, being a true Chi (and "toy") she is making a large statement: fear based, the other dogs know that.  So: upon sight of another dog, before (or at the onset) of your Chi's response, do NOT cross the street, do NOT pick her up (unless it is very clear to you the other dog is large and potentially harmful but, remember, such a dog might go after you to get to your Chi), simply change direction: let's say you're on a sidewalk with lawns, circle the dog while stepping on the lawn, using an upbeat" Come along, come on, let's go, let's go", circle the other way, do a figure eight (even if your dog persists in her reaction, which she may for a while).  EVENTUALLY, she will NOT react on sight of other dog and your circumnavigation will require no repeat, she will respond to "Okay, let's go, let's come along" with perhaps a slight change of direction (circling).  This will take some time, it won't happen overnight.  At age five, she has what is called "response perseverance".  BUT there's plenty of ability to counter condition here.  No matter how much time it takes, keep going. Carry pepper spray just in case some fool with a non-socialized Pit Bull or such other breed approaches and you DO feel the need to pick her up.  I doubt that will happen, never has happened to me.  One other response you can offer in a scenario where the other dog on leash is obviously out of control of its owner is to FACE OFF the other dog, eye to eye, raise your upper and lower lips and GROWL.  NO DOG expects to see a Human do this and I've never seen it fail, the approaching dog always backs off (even though its owner might think you a tad odd.  Just blame me lol.)

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.