Canine Behavior/Akita trouble

My neighbor has an akita and a lab mixwho are both male and who both get along well. They also have an electric fence separating their house from ours. We have a golden retriever who is three years old and a female, the Akita next-door is male. The Akita will often burst through the electric fencing and come over into our yard if there are a lot of people outside. We usually just tell him to go home, and he listens to us. So, This is not a problem as of yet, however we are looking to get a new puppy this fall. I am worried the Akita will do something to harm the puppy because recently the Akita murdered a baby raccoon. We always get our dogs fixed in the Akita is fixed as well. However I read that they are usually aggressive towards other dogs of the same gender and I was not sure if getting the dogs neutered would cause this to not happen. We are looking to get a boy and the Akita is also a boy. How are neighbors are good friends of ours, but they don't seem to care about controlling their dogs whatsoever. Even in the past when we have fought over it. I don't know what to do, even right now the Akita nips at my dogs neck when my dog is not provoking him at all. This makes me terrified to get a puppy. Since he is neutered and socialized with other dogs, do you think it would be safe to do so?

Hi Courtney,

I understand your concerns and also your frustration with your lackadaisical neighbors who don't seem to feel that not properly containing their Akita is not a problem. This is the kind of attitude that causes problems for others due to their lack of consideration for others.

If these weren't your next-door neighbors. I would suggest you get Animal Control involved and have them legally cited for allowing their dog to roam on to your property. However, doing so can cause a war between neighbors which could make living next to them intolerable.

If there are other neighbors who also find the e-fence jumping Akita, you might want to approach your neighbors with those others in a way that would not make them defensive, but convey to them that what they're doing (or, not doing, which is making sure their Akita stays contained on their property) is a problem for others which causes them stress and worry.

I think the only thing you can do is take care of things on your end to make sure that the Akita never has access to your puppy, or to your other dogs since you say he nips at them. In the spirit of "good fences make good neighbors," I would put up a good physical fence, NOT an e-fence, before getting your puppy. This is the only solution from what you have conveyed to me which can ensure the pup's safety.

Because a dog has killed a wild, rodent-like animal does not mean that the dog would kill a puppy - but, there is also no guarantee it won't, either. I have a dog who is a hard-wired rodent killer, which includes possums - but, he would never harm a puppy.

If you get a pup, make sure you have the fence. In addition. I would work with a trainer to properly and safely introduce the pup and the Akita, with the Akita wners' participation and permission, so that the Akita is familiar with him and doesn't perceive him as a threat or an interloper, and I would make sure that he stays familiar with him as he grows. This doesn't mean that they need to be best buds, just that once or twice weekly they get to sniff and greet each other, stay on good, familiar terms, and then go their separate ways.

Sorry I can't offer more than that, but there are few solutions to inconsiderate neighbors who don't care about others' feelings, and dogs often seem to be the catalyst for such laissez-faire attitudes.

I hope it all works out for the best. I am sorry that because of inconsiderate neighbors your decision to get another pup is fraught with worries.

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman, M.A.
NY Dog Trainer and NJ Dog Trainer
Delray Beach Dog Trainer  

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.

I respond to public questions only. I'm not a veterinarian & do not respond to medical questions.Suggestions: Submit a question in one area of priority, as what I am able to address in this venue is limited. Provide as much detail re: the behavior & issue as you can. Tell me how & if behavior is a change from previous behavior & when the changes occurred. Let me know what you think may have triggered such changes & what you have tried so far to resolve it, & what the results were. Let me know what you want help with & what are your concerns & questions about the behavior. I have set up a payment/donation to myself for responding to questions. I donate most of it to animal shelters & rescues. I keep a small portion for my time. The minimum donation is $25.00 on PayPal. When I see that a donation has been made, I will respond to your question. You will be prompted to make the donation before submitting your question. When you have read & rated my response fairly, which must be at the time you read it, I will refund $5.00 back to you IF YOU REQUEST that I do so in your rating comments. If I ask for more details, please respond as a "follow-up" & not as a new question. If I don't respond to your question, I will refund your donation less $5.00. DO rate me fairly at the end of our exchange. I will be pleased if you DO nominate me for volunteer of the month - why not, if I was generous in my response? I may suggest something you were not necessarily ready to hear, but I am honest in the interest of helping your dog, & that is my goal. Please keep that in mind. Please do NOT contact me privately about Allexperts questions through my e-mail or website unless I have invited you to do so. That is an invasion of my privacy - thank you for respecting it. If you would like to contact me for actual dog training & behavior consulting, you may contact me through my Web site.

Own & operate dog training & behavior consulting businesses, Hoboken Dog Trainer, and ny-njDogTrainer, in the NYC & NYC Metro areas since 2002. Work with thousands of dog owners & their dogs, & shelter & rescue dogs. Active volunteer in dog shelters and rescues (rescues being "no kill" and shelters being municipality-run urban shelters that can and do euthanize dogs). AllExperts volunteer in "Dogs, Category 701" and "Dog Training" and "Canine Behavior" since 2006. When you submit a question, please make sure it's being submitted in the appropriate category as I volunteer in two different categories. Make sure you agree to the Virtual Contract (the instructions I outline for question submissions) and agree to read and rate my response when I answer in the body of your question. I make donations to various animal non-profits based on YOUR ratings. If you don't rate my response, or rate it unfairly, you have just denied a dog rescue org or shelter a donation. Keep that in mind.

Professional Member of APDT for five years Founding Member of Animal Behavior Associates Behavior Education Network Former Board Member of IAABC, appointed by Founder Former Member of IPDTA in Canada Founding member of Behavior Education Network

Chronicle of the Dog (APDT, peer publication, numerous articles) Popular Dog Series magazine, numerous entries AOL in Tonowanda News Morris County News Vermont News Boston NOW New York A.M. Polo Trace Newsletter The Dodo AOL

Counseling Psychology, Caldwell College Animal Science, Rutgers University Master of Arts Degree Permanent New Jersey State Teaching Certification (teach public school and university level) Numerous workshops, lectures, and seminars on dog training and behavior Ongoing self-motivated study in my area of expertise

Best Canine Coach Award, 2006, Rondout Valley Instructor's Training Course Society of Illustrators, second place international competition Jellybean Photographics, second place international competition Fashion Institute of Technology "Commitment to Illustration" award

Testimonials from a number of clients appear on my Web site at under "Reviews." My customers include: Puppy owners wanting to get their puppies off to the best start; owners of mature dogs who want their dogs to have more obedience skills; fosters and owners of rescue dogs or shelter dogs; customers with special needs who need to train or retrain their dogs; housetraining and housebreaking; owners who have behavioral issues with their dogs such as house accidents, aggression towards humans, aggression towards other animals, inattentive dogs, unmotivated dogs, overly-exuberant dogs; and, more.