Canine Behavior/dog behavior

Question
Please help. I have a gorgeous little 5yr blonde pomeranian,  sweet as pie. We got a companion 3 years ago to keep her company. Little did we know about this particular breed- but we got a Shiba Inu, black and tan. We were very inexperienced with training him.  However he has come a long way and we adore him. Today I came home from work and found my pomeranian with dried blood under her eye and on her nose..she seemed fine but I can only assume she wanted the shibas bone and he didn't want her to have it. This is the first time he has hurt her. At times he plays a bit rough and a few times I have pulled him off her for a split sec it seemed like he was going to attack but never acted on it. I'm lost at this point. Have I put my pomeranian in a dangerous position?  What should I do?

Answer
This is dog to dog aggression, a predictor of dog to human aggression.  You have here a rank opportunism problem, at best.  The dogs cannot be left alone for any reason.  We don't know who the perpetrator is: Pom or Shiba Inu (very difficult breed).  I'm afraid you need an in person evaluation by a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist.  There are far too many variables in this situation, where blood WAS drawn (so this is not a "casual" experience) for me to answer it in a text box.  Questions need to be asked; dogs need to be observed; at least two hours of interview must be done.

To find a CAAB (NOT A DOG TRAINER and not someone "calling" themselves a "behaviorist": a person with educational credentials and solid references, veterinary and client) call the veterinary college in your area or see the following sites:

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

I would ordinarily suggest NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) for both dogs but cannot determine which dog should be fed first, greeted first, etc. from here since I can't see a thing.  Put a house tab on the Shiba (very lightweight leash) only when you are at home.  Until you are able to obtain in person evaluation from a CAAB, if the Shiba demonstrates any true aggression toward the Pom, say nothing, no eye contact, pick up the house tab, put him behind a closed door, count to ten, let him out, hold onto the tab for a few minutes, then release.  Show no anger and no anxiety (if possible).

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.