Canine Behavior/dog urinating on hand

Question
QUESTION: My male English springer spaniel(3yo)urinated on a family members hand.Does my dog have a territorial issue.If it helps we live in a forested area with a lot of deer.

ANSWER: I need A LOT more information:

What was your family member's hand doing in a position where the dog could urinate on it?

Has the dog ever urinated (deliberately, leg lifting) on anyone else?

Does the dog mark your house (indoors)?

Is the dog neutered?

Is this a hunting dog or a pet/companion?

Is it possible your family member had recently handled (although it is not hunting season) any pheromones intended to attract bucks?

Would you consider this dog absolutely, reliably house trained?

What did YOU DO when this event occurred and how did the DOG REACT?

Thank you.

QUESTION: Well the family member was laying his hand out watching tv,he thought the dog was coming over to lay next to him..dogs never urinated on anyone before,is house trained,has been neutered ,is a pet and not a hunting dog.no pheremones,when the dog urinated on the family members hand,we immediately put it in its cage,and the dog reacted with normal calm behavior.

Answer
This is one of those profound mysteries you read about in books LOLOL!!!  Can't help but laugh, really.

Putting the dog in the crate meant nothing to him.  If you can count to ten, the connection between event and next event is lost on a dog.  He may have been making a statement of social hierarchy here but there's no way I can explain it, really.  Frankly, in all the years I've been doing this, I've had clients whose dogs urinated on people (pant legs mostly), but never a hand casually lying in front of a TV.  Quite possible the dog did not recognize the "HAND" as part of a Human person (in fact, very possible) and thought it prudent to make a statement about it this questionable object.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It is pretty funny, you have to admit (although I'm sure the relative didn't find it so at the time).

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.