Canine Behavior/dogs and cameras

Question
Hi me Jill - I am a dog lover. I just wanna ask if dogs know when they are in front of a camera? In my experience, it is uncanny, ad they all seem to sit and pose when they see camera coming out. Is it my imagination? What u think? Am I correct? Have u noticed the same type of behaviour?  Can u explain dog posing for cameras? At one enlarged family gathering out Lab consistently pushed herself into the front row. Thank you, Michael

Answer
I think the answer lies in the situation:  person points camera (strange object); if dog has seen camera before, dog is not frightened (some dogs will run if you point an unknown object at them).  If dog is stable temperament, dog will be CURIOUS.  It takes one second for a picture to be taken (maybe 1-1/2 seconds if flash is involved, in which case dog may run from flash).  ALSO: person taking picture is HAPPY, smiling, laughing, body language totally relaxed, giving dog every signal that 'THIS IS GOOD'.  So dog spends 1 to 3 seconds inquisitively looking at camera (which is why so many dogs heads are turned to the side, that is the communication of "HUH"?)  Now: entire family gathers.  Person holding camera is happy, anticipating this photo, everyone is happy, laughing (let's hope), dog must take its appropriate position with its social hierarchy and, for other reasons too elaborate and unnecessary to explain, will want to push ahead of the "rest of them" to get between "them" and the beloved person taking the picture.

NOW:  It is a well known fact that animals (not just dogs) whose pictures have been taken repeatedly appear to recognize the moment as "unique".  For instance, Secretariat was well known to have POSED for photographers (as have many other famous race horses).  There are always exceptions but we rarely hear about those!

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.