Canine Behavior/scary behavior

Question
Hi! I have a question about my aunt and uncles dog, Ellie. She is a mixed breed about medium size short hair and around 6 years old. They've had her for many years. We've brought our 7 year old female Brittany spaniel, Dixie out there to play with her for the past few years and they have always gotten along, just a few playful fights. Just a few weeks ago Ellie attacked our dog Dixie but we stopped Ellie. It happened again not long after that and she was biting onto my dogs neck and it was kinda bad but we stopped her. Now they told me that Ellie just killed a wood chuck. We are now scared to bring Dixie out there because Ellie has started this behavior. Like I said, they've had her for many years and she's never acted like this. They're now thinking about maybe giving her away. Is there a cause for this behavior? I don't think it's normal, but if it's how she's going to be for the rest of her life then they may give her away. I'm thinking there could be a reason she has started this scary behavior but I'm not sure. Any advice would be great!

Answer
First: this is not your dog but she is a clear and present threat to your dog.  DO NOT bring your dog to visit her.

Second:  depending on breed mix (hard to determine without an experienced eye) this dog may very well be doing what its genetic components designed it to do.  They CANNOT give the dog away, that is out of the question.  She is poorly socialized to other dogs and most likely children as well.  One does not "give away" a dog that has a problem behavior.  It is not responsible, and it is not fair to the dog.

There are many breeds and breed types of the domestic dog that have high prey drive.  At age five, the domestic dog obtains complete maturity.  When a dog has high prey drive, it will follow that drive.  Since this is not your dog, you are not in a position to attempt to correct (rehabilitate) this behavior.  I can't advise you regarding that dog, but I can advise you that your own dog must now be kept away from her and may very well have obtained a conditioned fear response to other dogs.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.