Canine Behavior/My dog is controlled by fear.

Question
I have a 4 year old schnauzer and ever since she was 2 she has been terrifyingly afraid of the daylight and the outdoors. She goes outside to pee during daylight and ffinishes, then continues to scurry and look behind her as if something is following here. She was a dog rescued from a puppy mill. She was only a few weeks old, and of my knowledge no prior fears were known. She knows when it's dark, and or cold/rainy and she knows there's no bees. I'm pretty sure bees are the problem. She knows the exact time of day and when she can comfortably go outside. She sits at the back door and looks out very sad and when I go to let her out she flees away and hides. She is afraid of any noise such as buzzing, rustlingor even just a bag moving around. What can I do to help her? It makes me so sad she is controlled by this fear. I don't recall her ever getting stung by a bee either. Example: today she was outside with me. We both heard a bee and she FREAKED out and ran around in circles and scurrying about and whining to go inside. What can I do for my poor little girl?

Answer
The Veterinary Hospital University of Pennsylvania (in Philadelphia):
(215) 898-4680

It is very probable this dog was stung, perhaps multiple times, and has a strong conditioned response.  The hospital above is one of the premier facilities in the US.  If you are within a reasonable drive (what you consider reasonable), I suggest you call and make an appointment with a Veterinary Behaviorist.  If you are unable to drive there, they should have referrals to a Veterinary Behaviorist within a few hours' drive of your home.

The dog requires eyes on, a base line neurological test, an eye evaluation, complete blood chemistry and most likely medication WHILE you work through this problem on counter conditioning her strong fear response.  A Beta blocker is a commonly used first step approach as it reduces the rush of adrenaline but there are other more sophisticated medications.  A Veterinary generalist does not have THE EXPERIENCE regarding the use of these medications, you require a specialist.  Here are online sites where you might also locate one:

http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/

This problem is complex because you are also involved, meaning: you are reacting to her fear and panic (becoming concerned, perhaps trying to calm her by petting her).  Desensitization to buzzing IS TO BE AVOIDED, it will not work.  The only thing that will work is an appropriate medication (short term) coupled with counter conditioning.  This means teaching the dog something entirely different (as simple as "sit") with positive reinforcement, then keeping the dog on long leash outside (you must go out with her); if she demonstrates the behavior described above, shorten the leash, walk in large circles left, right, left, right, until dog is visibly calm or LOOKS AT YOU, ask for "sit", be prepared to jackpot reward (handful of something good), walk on until she's calm, take her indoors.

It sounds simple; it won't be simple.  She's had this problem for some time, it is not self extinguishing.  Find the Vet. Behaviorist and report back using followup feature after the dog has been on the medication at least two weeks.  Until then, you must go out with her on leash.  Leash restraint will keep her cognition engaged.  Take a mint with you so your stress and anxiety won't "go down the leash".  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.