Canine Behavior/dog tries to get under bed

Question
Lately our fox terrier, about 10 years old and in good health, gets underneath our bed at night.
Even though we've blocked the space underneath with pillows, he gets underneath. What is the cause of this behavior? Is it part of terrier nature? He has only been doing this lately. There are no loud noises outside. Thanks.

Answer
He may be "denning" - a normal behavior.  Or he may be responding to a stimulus you are unaware of: scent/sound/movement in your home (little visitors); or he may have "discovered" this "safe place" as the result of one incident that frightened him and left him with a conditioned response.  There is no need to block access so long as the dog does not "defend" himself (develop aggression) if you call him out or reach under to get him (I don't recommend the latter).

This might also be the result of normal loss of vision as a dog ages and night vision becomes impaired.  Or it could be a sign of illness and also some loss of cognition, age related.  Dogs to NOT demonstrate "pain" in an overt manner unless the pain is debilitating (as in, orthopedic, tendonitis, frank injury).  I think you need to find a very good veterinary internist (not a generalist) and have this dog undergo a series of full blood chemistry, baseline neurological exam, eye examination, ear examination, orthopedic evaluation, in order to rule out any biologic cause.  Usually a veterinary internist requires a referral from a generalist.  Your veterinarian should know where this one to be found within a reasonable driving distance and SHOULD HAVE NO OBJECTION to giving you this referral without seeing the dog him/herself.

Once you have had the tests done, if the dog is in perfect health and the behavior persists, use followup feature to continue our dialogue.  Meanwhile:  do not block entrance unless dog is aggressive while under the bed.  Make no comment.  Do not attempt to "lure" him out (he may perceive this as reward).  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.