Canine Behavior/dog afraid to go in backyard bc of birds

Question
There is a bird that began dive bombing my dog every time she'd go out back to potty.  This began few weeks ago and my dog will now only go out back when I'm with her and even then she sits right next to me. she will not go potty in the backyard anymore. She is fine on walks and also in the front yard. My dog does not bark so the bird isn't afraid of her. I don't want to have the bird killed. I can't keep taking the dog for multiple daily walks just so she can go to the bathroom.  How can I get my dog to go the bathroom in the backyard again?  thank you for any direction you can provide.

Answer
Well that's a tough situation - trying to balance your dog's needs and comfort while respecting the local wildlife. The likelihood is that the bird is protecting a nest and so is feeling more defensive. I've been dive-bombed by humming birds at my house, which sounds like it wouldn't be a big deal given how little they are, but boy they have a very loud buzz with those fast moving wings as they swoop past less than a foot from your head! It can be disconcerting. I feel for your dog.

How can we address this? Well, we can adjust the times of day when the dog goes out back. The bird is likely to be gone searching for food for large portions of the day, so if you can pay attention to the bird's schedule, you can begin taking the dog in the back yard when she's not there and then play games, give super tasty treats, snuggle and cuddle out there to help your dog re-associate the space with good things and not scary things.

You could potentially put up some large screening or awning like fabric to create a covered area in the yard so that the dog can go to a place that feels more protected. Perhaps one of those canopies that can be purchased at a Home Depot or Lowe's. Something like these:
http://www.homedepot.com/s/canopy?NCNI-5

This would provide some protection and disincline the bird to charge your dog. Take the dog out there for her meals and play time and give her very favorite treats only outside under that canopy. Doing these things will help create good associations for her and if we're preventing the bird from attacking, then we can undo the fear and instill the pleasure again. It's only been happening for a few weeks, so there's a good chance we can quickly help your dog feel more secure again in a relatively short time.

Birds do tend to move on as the seasons change, so as we get to the end of the summer, the bird is likely to leave anyway, which will then give you the rest of the year to help her feel better about her back yard again. And then, next year, you can put the canopy up again at the start of the summer and just have it in place through the season. This also provides your dog with a good shaded area so if she wants to be outside, but out of the sun, she has that opportunity as well.

Another option would be trying to scare away the bird right now, rather than wait for her regular migration. There are several options from reflective ribbon tape that can be hung out to fake owls to units that put out sounds like birds of prey or supersonic pitches that are uncomfortable to the bird. These are all humane options which don't harm the bird, but will incline all the birds near your yard to vacate.

The only caution is with the supersonic options - make sure it's not a noise that bothers your dog as well...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-key

I hope one or more of these options prove helpful. Please feel free to followup if I can be of further assistance.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behvaiorist
http://NutzAboutMutz.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT