Canine Behavior/New Baby and Dog

Question
I will be having a new baby soon.  My dog typically is not a jealous dog.  My dog is 7 her name is Mya and she has been my only "child" since a puppy. She does love kids but this will be new for her.
My question is. I will be in the hospital for a few days
for the delivery of the baby. I am going to have a family friend take Mya while in the hospital.  Should I have my friend drop Mya off before I get home so she is waiting for me when I arrive with the baby. Or should I have her dropped off after I am home with the baby.  I really don't know what to expect here because this will be so new for both of us.  Thanks!!

Answer
Have the dog returned home well before you come home with the baby.  This means:  if you are returning home early in the AM, have the dog walked and fed and brought back home the night before (even if your friend has to come by to let the dog out before your return).

Purchase a swaddling blanket (inexpensive) and instruct the nurse's station to swaddle the newborn in it.  The scent of the baby will transfer to the blanket in minutes.  Then send the blanket "home" to the dog (at your friend's house) and let the dog "have" the blanket.  Your friend should make a big deal out of this (have a low level "party") when giving the dog the blanket.  Make sure that the dog "receives" the blanket multiple times each day (the dog may at first ignore it) to obtain scent.

Meanwhile, between now and delivery date, buy a doll (cheap doll).  Carry it with you around the house; talk to it; hug it; get the dog accustomed to seeing you giving attention to this "object" which will have no scent of its own but your own scent.  "Introduce" the dog to the doll, let the dog sniff the doll, praise and give a treat SO LONG AS THE DOG IS BEHAVING in a manner that is friendly (body height tail wag, ears curious or perked, not flat back on head, hackles normal).  Carry this "baby" around with you all the time, putting it down sporadically (as you will your infant.)

Change nothing about the dog's schedule when the actual infant arrives home.  The dog will be curious: scent and sounds of neonate Human are unknown to a dog unless dog has been heavily socialized to same (and most dogs have not).  Do not allow the dog to be with the baby alone for any reason: this is not to say the dog will harm the baby, but it is common sense precaution.  Do not let the dog sleep in the baby's room; put a "baby gate" up.

I will be back in the US end of September.  If you require any help prior to that (once your baby is born), ask Jody Epstein (another expert on this site).  Meanwhile: after my return, use followup feature so I can see original question and answer.

The domestic dog has been "welcoming" Human infants into its environment for a very, very long time without incident.  But one must remember: this is a dog.  What a dog will do with a neonate dog (newborn puppy) will injure (or worse) a human infant without the dog having any intention to do so.  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.