Canine Behavior/the twilight hound

Question
Hi, almost weeks ago my family and I baught a beautiful male Border collie from Wales. He is currently 10 weeks old and has been living with us 12 days. He isn't alloud outside at the moment but he will finish his vaccination programme next week. In the mean time we have been trying to manage his physical and mental needs as best as we can through logical food hideing toys and exercise through games such as fetch. We are also socializing him by carrying him around on village walks. He is an absolute angel during the vast majerety of the day and obeys to what he has been taught and even mouthing only occurs in gentel play and he immedeatley stops when told. However he can remain this calm and lovable pup all throughout the ealy evening (even tired and sleepy), however as soon as twilight appoaches he trasforms in to an entirely different dog. Any odediance, rules or loyalty goes out of the ceiling and we are left with a hyperactive disobediant puppy who will purposley attempt to bite your legs and feet and refuse to let go. We have tried to stop him both calmly and and demanding but he simply will not budge. When he acts this way we usually try to get him into and icolated area until he has calmed down which he usually does as soon as it is dark. At fist we thought that he was overtired but we have began to notice that this is becoming a routined occurance even if we have ensurerd he has had pleanty of rest throut the day. We have tried methods of caling him down such as placing a ticking clock next to his bed and giving him an old t shirt scented t-shirt. Should we be trying to get him to sleep through these twilight hours? Or would that just result in and even more hyper puppie ater on in the evening? We hope that things may become easyer once we can walk him and exercise him properly vut in the mean time need advice on how to manage the deamond puppie we are too scared to go anywhere near, any advice?

Answer
Have this puppy tested for PRA.  His night time vision may be compromised which would explain his heightened state of anxiety.  In the UK there are many veterinary behaviorists and government licensed (with credentials) behaviorists.  I would look for a veterinary behaviorist first, then see the list below:

http://www.coape.org/pfn/index.html
http://www.apbc.org.uk/members.php
http://www.johnrogerson.com/consultation.html

Meanwhile: when the puppy begins to demonstrate this hysteria, put a house tab (long lightweight leash) on him.  Leash restraint will help him to acclimate if his sight is impaired; it will also calm him (umbilical cord).  Be sure he is left in a room with plenty of light (lamps, overhead, etc.)

This might also be a response that has been exacerbated by your frustration, confusion and negative response.  But it appears to me there is some fundamental cause: either sight related, or a strong conditioned response to fear when lights are dim.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.