Canine Behavior/cowering

Question
Hello there.

Ive recently moved into a house and was asked to look after five dogs. 3 adults who roam the house and two puppies who are kept in a room.

Ive been feeding them but on the last day as I was feeding them the puppies dad whom theyd not seen before came into the room and weed on a wall as if to mark tertiary. The puppies were fine at the time running around as puppies do. And the dad only came in for a few minutrs.
However that evening when I handed care back to the owners the puppies had started really cowering and still are. I feel very bad and they think I have done something untoward.

Answer
How old are the puppies?
What breed or breed-type are the puppies?

How close did the adult male get to the puppies?
Did he have any direct interaction with the puppies at all - eye contact, physical contact, vocalize at them (growling, snarling, barking, whining)?
How close to the puppies was the wall on which the adult male marked?

What else happened during the day? Were there any loud noises, sudden movements, changes in smells (smoke, perfumes, cleaning chemicals, etc)?

Did any new humans come into the space with the puppies?

Did the puppies have any outings - go anywhere new or experience anything new?
How are the puppies with their mother?
Are they still nursing at all or are they completely weaned?
Is the mama dog generally relaxed and confident or is she a nervous dog?
Is the mama being sweet to the puppies or is she disciplining them?

Describe what this cowering looks like - are they huddled together, tails tucked, ears back? Are they hiding under blankets, in corners? Are they playing with each other and just afraid to come near humans? Are they showing fear of going to just certain people or certain objects or do they appear afraid of everything in their environment? Are they showing fear of their mother or the male dog?

Please use the followup button in this reply to answer these questions. With more information, I'll have a much better picture of what's going on and will be better able to speculate as to what is going on for these puppies.

Please feel free to add in any other details that I haven't specifically asked about as well.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://NutzAboutMutz.com  

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT