Canine Behavior/dog scared of collar

QUESTION: Myis that my dog is scared of her collar and of her harness and she will not walk on a leash what do I do????

ANSWER: Not near enough information.  Copy/paste following questions, with your answers, and use followup feature to send it to me.

1.  How old is the dog
2.  What sex is the dog
3.  What breed or breed type is the dog
4.  How long have you owned the dog
5.  When did this behavior begin
6.  If the dog is a neonate (young puppy): this is normal and we can fix it quickly; if not, think hard: what may have contributed to the dog's fear...what happened on leash (i.e., "leash correction", presence of fearful object, attack by other dog, etc.)
7.  What are YOU doing with this dog when it is refusing to accept her collar, harness, and won't walk on leash?

Thank you.

QUESTION: My dog is 5 months old. She is a female,she's a blue nose pitbull. The behavior started bout 2 months ago.I know she would be scared of the sounds when we were walking. When shehas the collor on she just stands there and won't move. So I just take it off of her.

You failed to answer FULLY to the questions I asked. I request a further in depth answer.  HOWEVER: let me tell you this about "blue" Pit Bulls:

In order to breed to a certain "color", a breeder must choose, quite carefully, from breeding stock (male and female) those that produce (in satisfactory numbers) "blue" appearance (actually grey with a "blue" tint).  THIS SORT OF BREEDING means: certain inherited genetic predispositions appear.  To elucidate: Some long time ago, Russian fox breeders intended to reduce ferocity in their breeding stock so that they could more easily interact with it; the foxes were intended for sale for their PELTS.  By targeting select breeders who demonstrated the sort of compliant behavior they wanted they inadvertently manipulated genetic predisposition for behavior with APPEARANCE. What they wound up with (after, if I remember correctly, 14 or few generations which means only 6 to 7 years) was a BLACK AND WHITE FOX which was very "friendly".  Unfortunately, no one wanted black and white fox pelts.

When any breeder, in any breed, goes for a certain "appearance" rather than breeding for TEMPERAMENT and CONFORMATION, that breeder DELIBERATELY produces progeny (from a very small gene pool) that has been affected by the selection for COLOR (or any other thing, for that matter.)  The "blue" Pit Bull is well known for its genetic predisposition to FEAR and, as the dog matures, FEAR AGGRESSION.  

You already have a dog predisposed to fear; it is "hard wired".  You must be far more explicit in your description, answering every question SCRUPULOUSLY, or I can't help you.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.