Canine Behavior/jealously or what?

Question
Chuva
Chuva  
QUESTION: I have  a small Podengo 3 year old sterilized  (sorry not sure that is the correct term)female.
I got her when she was  a year old.  When I got her She was on a farm in kennel for about a month to be trained as a hunting dog before that all I know she was living in Lisbon. She was and is still nervous but very freindly to humans .
I am a 66 female living in the mountains in Portugal on my own and Chuva (my dog) has proved to be a lovely companion  A lovely dog all round.However my daughter who lives close by has got a puppy who Chuva Is not at all friendly to wards she starts shaking in her basket if she hears her scratching at the door. When they do meet she is a bit aggressive to the female puppy. How should I deal with this?Chuva seems to behave worse when I am around?!
I would very much like some advice on this matter.Have you any?
Chuva is not my first dog I have had 4 others in the last 20 years.And always had dogs when I was growing up.   I look forward to hearing from with any advise on the matter. Thank you very much. Cathy 2

ANSWER: Hi Catherine,

I would like to respond to your question, and I have a couple of my own before I continue.

1. First, in my biography on AllExperts, I ask questioners to let me know that they will read and rate my response after I respond. Will you read my bio and then assure me that you will rate my response soon after I finish responding to your question? If you do not intend to, please do not say that you will do this.

2. Have Chuva and your daughter's dog interacted with each other with Chuva out of the "basket" you mentioned? Is your daughter's dog also restrained when they interact, or loose, or on a leash? Please provide details.

3. Can you describe why Chuva is in the "basket" that you mentioned? Can you describe the "basket?"

4. What is the size difference between Chuva and your daughter's pup, and weight difference? Which is larger and heavier?

5. How does the pup behave towards Chuva? Is she respectful? Is she over-exuberant with Chuva and possibly overwhelming for her?

5. What do you mean by "Chuva behaves worse when I'm around?". Please provide more details as I don't know what this means.

Thank you!

Madeline

QUESTION: Sorry Madeline,
I have just written you a long reply to your questions.including the confirmation I would rate you.
it took me a long time to write as I am dyslexic and that is why I often get things wrong the first time and find it hard to express myself in writing . Given all this I was dismayed to find due to many little power cuts here I lost my reply to you on the Web.  As it is now late I hope you will not mind if I try to rewrite it all in the morning again!

Catherine

ANSWER: No problem. Sorry for your trouble. The same happened to me after writing a response back to someone. It's so frustrating. I look forward to your response. Please respond to the first submission where I asked you several questions. I'm dyslexic too and it will be easier for me to follow.

QUESTION: Hello Madeline,

Than you for your understanding.

1. I have read you biography and agree to rate you as soon as possible (I can not find where i copied and pasted it yesterday I hope my word is good enough!)

2. Firstly by 'basket' I mean her bed in the house. as in photo below.
The two dogs have met  before  both loose and not restrained or on a leash.

(my daughters puppy name is Asha she is three mouths old  female labrador My daughter also has a much oder  male labrador  named Blue  labrador mix not the father but has taken Asha under his wing)
The main thing for you to bare in mind is we live in the mountains with no walls or fences.

Details of meeting below.

Blue has often come up the mountain to see us Chuva and they geton well. While we were all away for christmas he decided to come with Asha here. the person looking after Chuva said after a time Chuva gave into Asha and played with her.  the next meeting was with me. I had chuva in my arms as I wanted to stop asha rushing in to the house to Chuva,s food so ending in a fight.
I managed to get them both out side but this time Chuva had no intention of playing'
Then a few days ago not arranged we meet up with my daughter and dogs on a walk near by. Straight away Chuva was on the defensive with the over friendly Asha. Blue barked at Chuva as if to say leave Asha alone and Chuva rushed off to my car!

3. The basket is only a cushion. her bed downstairs.

4. Both dogs at the moment are about the same size and weight but Asha getting bigger by the day.

5. Asha is not respectful to Chuva and I think Chuva is a bit overwhelmed. Asha just wants to play.

6. From what I heard from my dog carer while I was away the dogs sorted them selves out but me they seem not to, Maybe I worry about a big fight taking place..clearly I am doing something wrong.

I hope I have answered your questions clearly enough .

Thank you so much for your support. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cathy

Answer
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for answering my questions and for providing more details.

My response should not be a substitute for working in-person with a professionally behaving trainer experienced in canine behavior. My responses should be used as education and understanding, and to guide you in questioning a trainer in order to see if one gives an assessment similar to mine, which should indicate the person has an excellent understanding of canine behavior.

I understand what you wrote about dogs roaming free in the mountains of Portugal. I have been to Portugal, most recently to the mountains of Sintra, and I'm familiar with how dogs are kept in that type of region, which is different from the way dogs are kept in Lisbon, for instance.

So, as I understand it, Asha and Blue come and go as they please, and possibly can walk through your front (or other) door and into your home as they please. If you're leaving food down for Chuva, doing so can absolutely be a trigger for the dogs fighting. What I would suggest doing is not leaving food down all day for Chuva if the other dogs can come in and fight over the food. Chuva could be hurt, or worse, killed, over a valuable resource such as food. I would suggest feeding Chuva at specific times, under your supervision, perhaps even gated in a room for safety, and then picking up the dish after about 20 minutes when she has finished eating. If she doesn't finish eating, try hand feeding her the remaining food, or put the dish away and offer it to her again in a few hours, again for 15 minutes or so, under your supervision, and gated in a room so Asha can not fight over Chuva's food. Be similarly cautious with toys or bones as those are resources dogs will often fight over, too. Dogs can even fight over preferred resting spots, and people as valuable resources.

Second, although you picked up Chuva when Asha entered in order to make Chuva feel more secure, what you inadvertently did was restrict Chuva from moving around freely and behaving naturally with Asha. If you are a valuable resource for both dogs, you put Chuva on the "valuable resource" which may have triggered Chuva and Asha to fight over you as a resource. Keep Chuva off your lap when the other dogs are around.

Third, as far as Asha's exuberant playing goes, all is well as long as Chuva can correct her and Asha will heed Chuva's correction by backing off and leaving Chuva alone. Mature dogs know that puppies have a "puppy license," and usually cut them a bit of slack when it comes to how they behave; but, the "puppy license" runs out and expires as the puppy gets older and bigger. The mature dog also has the right to correct and tell the puppy by growling, walking away, and being left alone whenit's clear that the mature dog wants to be left alone. Showing teeth, growling, walking away are all appropriate methods of a dog saying "I want to be left alone.".Do not punish or correct Chuva for doing so, as they are all appropriate methods of canines communicating.  If Asha doesn't respond, then you need to step in and remove Asha and have her calm down. This is a lot of responsibility, because you have one dog and are being asked to deal with another dog not belonging to you and who shows up unpredictably, and possibly even a third dog, Blue, who seems to want to join the "discussion" between Chuva and Asha. Blue, too, should be prevented from "joining the discussion," either by your removing Blue, removing Asha, removing Asha and Blue, and/or by giving Chuva a safe place she can get to quickly where Asha and Blue can't follow her if she needs or wants to get away.

If your daughter can not contain Asha and Blue, or if they will continue to have free access into your home, then another option would be to usher Asha and Blue into their own gated area inside your home with Chuva having run of the largest areas of your home when the two are visiting.  

I can't be sure, but it seems to me that part of the problem between the dogs is that they're viewing you as a valuable resource (someone who provides food, warmth, resting places, water, toys, affection and attention), and that may be a contributor to the fighting. Remember, too, that food left down is also likely a huge contributor.

As for the things I've mentioned, ask your pet sitter (dog caretaker) if she did anything different from the things you do and possibly any of what I've mentioned in my response. For instance, she probably did not leave food down (maybe, or maybe not - it would be interesting to find out), and likely she also did not attempt to protect Chuva when the other dogs visited by putting Chuva in her lap, and so allowed her to interact freely with them, which is much healthier and likely one of the reasons why they were able to "work it out."

As for Blue getting involved and backing up Asha, Blue should not be allowed to join the "discussion" nor should Blue have an opinion. Blue should be shown the way out through the door, or trained to do a down/stay rather than join in "discussions" between Chuva and Asha. Remember, too, that if Asha is playing over-exuberantly with Chuva and not responding to Chuva saying "I want to be left alone now," you need to step in and correct Asha as I explained above. One method would be to snap a leash on to Chuva's collar when she visits so that you can grab it and safely redirect her movements. However, make sure she is always supervised while trailing a leash, and don't eveer let her leave to roam the mountains with the leash still on, so you'll need to be attentive and vigilant.

Another suggestion is to train Asha and Blue to go to a specific bed or corner in your home when they visit, and to stay only in that area. You will likely need a trainer's help in person in order to train the dogs to do this, and your daughter should be involved as well in the training.

It's a difficult situation with the dogs coming and going as they please. I think you would benefit greatly by having a trainer with canine behavioral expertise assess your situation and work with you on management and training solutions by visiting you two or three times, at least.

I wish I could help more, but this venue limits, understandably, what I can do. I hope I've given you some insight and some food for thought. I would greatly enjoy a follow up down the road in a few months to hear how things are going, and I hope to hear they're going well. The advice I gave you should get you off to a good start before meeting with a trainer.

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman. M.A.
Behavior Expert and Hoboken dog Trainer, Delray Beach Dog Trainer, NYC Dog Trainer

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.