Canine Behavior/My dalmation growls all the time.

Question
HI, I have a 8 year Dalmation mix named Mia. Mia has a pitpull she has grown up together and now we have added my boyfriends dogs,and sometimes his kids dogs, so at anytime there could be 5 dogs and they are all big dogs. One she really dosen't get a along with the most is a Vizsla Lab mix. Mia my dalmation growls at everything all the time and sometime her growling causes a fight with the dogs.
She didnt use to in the beginging but now its ALL the time, any suggestions?

Answer
Your household is too chaotic; this dog is not stable enough to withstand the comings and goings of other dogs.  Growling does not "cause a fight with other dogs"....it is a definitive statement regarding place in social order and the only reason another dog, or dogs, would construe it as incentive to "fight" is because it is intended as such.

Mia may be suffering from age related loss of sight (normal).  When you say she "growls at everything all the time" I wonder: does she growl at you?  Does she growl at anything that moves?  Does she growl only when other dogs that do not belong in your household are present?  I have no way of knowing this.  A "fight with the dogs" is very unclear, also.  What, exactly, is a "fight"?  If it's a lot of snarling and vocalizing and no injury is ever inflicted, that's one thing; if injury is being inflicted, you have a serious developing problem.

"Adding" dogs randomly to your living situation requires that your own dog is stable, heavily socialized, and that you are clearly in control, PSYCHOLOGICALLY.  

You require the intervention of a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (NOT a dog trainer!)  Mia needs individual evaluation and then evaluation as other dogs are added, one at a time, so the expert can read Mia's body language (and that of the other dogs) to determine exactly what is going wrong.  Your other option is to confine Mia with her Pit bull companion to a room with water, soft bedding: not as punishment, but to protect both of them.  Her Pit Bull companion is most likely as affected by Mia's behavior as are you.  If other dogs are staying in your home for more than a few hours, this complicates the issue.

Because I can see nothing from here, I strongly urge you to find a CAAB.  You can do so by calling the veterinary college in your area, they should be able to refer you, or by going to the following site:

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html

It is never a good idea to randomly introduce "strange dogs" where your own dog is clearly fearful, anxious and defensive.  If you are unable to find a CAAB, then you must strictly limit the number of dogs you allow free roam in your household.  Those dogs who do not belong there need to be confined (kitchen area) away from Mia and your Pit Bull.  This scenario is just too chaotic and there appears to be no clear leadership from the Humans involved (to the dogs, that is). I would also ask the veterinarian to do an eye check: Dalmatians can be prone to early onset cataracts, PRA, and (as I said) more advanced "aging of sight" than other breeds.  They are also a very high strung breed and aggression is not uncommon; think of the reason (purpose) for this breed: accompanying horse driven carriages.  You need professional help here and I can't do it from a text box.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.