Canine Behavior/New Adult Dog

Question
A week ago I adopted a 3 yr old beagle from a rescue, and while I feel that she is adjusting well, my concern is my 7yr old basset/lab mix.   Since we have gotten the new dog, he has become withdrawn, and often goes into his crate in the kitchen instead of spending time with us.  he seems "sad", and then very clingy, and even on walks he drags behinds now.   He will more often than not leave the room when the new dog enters.  We have made sure they have separate beds and toys and bowls, etc, and outside (in the yard of leash), they are usually fine, but his tendency to leave to be alone is worrying me as he rarely did it in the past.  I know its only been a week, but should i be concerned that he will not accept her and will only withdraw more?   I really love the new dog too, but I don't want to ruin the quality of life of a dog I have had for 5 years and was very happy.  Please help!

Answer
Your older dog is making a social statement to your new addition:  "I am unavailable".  His "clinging" is being rewarded if you are giving him attention when he demonstrates it: ignore it, get up and walk away.  If he drags behind during walks, walk him separately from the other dog and, if possible, have someone walk the other dog parallel to you and your 7 yo Basset X.  Parallel walking helps dogs to habituate to one another more easily.

One week is no time at all but here's what you should do:  put your new dog on a modified Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF):  this means, she must earn everything by "sitting" on command (video to teach this is at end of post):  being spoken to, petted, fed, taken out, brought back in.  Feed your older dog first and give him totally free attention, totally free.  You will be promoting him socially over the new dog and she will feel more secure.

You are most likely anthropomorphizing your older dog's behavior:  putting Human feelings and intentions to it.  Within a couple of months they should have worked it out between them but you must never reward his "clinging" and always insist that he is "first" in everything and does not have to earn your attention.

How to teach a dog to "sit" using positive reinforcement:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1W_3CDVVqo&feature=related

If your older dog is also feeling insecure and fearful, this is due to a lack of proper socialization to other dogs and is also part and parcel of bitch vs. dog; even a neutered dog will acquiesce to a spayed bitch.  Your beagle might be more confident in personality and may be a tad "pushy" with your older male; the NILIF regimen should change that.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.