Canine Behavior/Sleeping/resting positions in dogs

Question
QUESTION: Hi Jody
I am looking at some resting positions in dogs. I am looking for the name to describe a dog who rests in a position where its paws are comfortably tucked away under its body and the tail is wrapped all the way round until it touches the face. I have been on numerous websites and it calls this position the Sleeping Fox or the Fox. Not sure if this is true or not!

Thanks
Sam

ANSWER: Hello, Sam.

So, there are no formal studies that talk about sleep positions in dogs. There are no formal names for any position that dogs choose to sleep in. Most are simply descriptions of the body position - belly down with chin on floor, resting on side, on back with exposed belly.... The position you are asking about would simply be described as "curled up". It may be inferred that the position is taken because the dog is cold (tucking the feet and curling the tail around to the face keeps the entire under belly and feet warm), or it may be an indicator of the dog feeling somewhat vulnerable (protecting the belly). It's reasonable to describe it as "fox-like" in that we have all seen an image somewhere of a fox curled up like that. But there is no formal list of dog sleeping positions.

I've recently come across a few sites that suggest that sleeping position will shed all sorts of light on your dog's personality. I don't give much stalk to them as none of them have any citations to actual science - they are all just the opinion of the person writing that blog. I've only ever taken those positions to indicate whether or not the dog is cold or hot, and whether or not the dog feels safe enough to expose the belly while sleeping soundly.
NOTE: for cold/hot I also take note of physical location. For example, a dog who is hot is likely to choose to lie on hard flooring, on their side. The flooring is cool and laying on the side exposes the greatest surface area to the cool floor. Some dogs will choose the hard floor and then lie belly down with their rear legs splayed so the belly can make full contact to the cool floor. On the flip side, a dog who is cold will choose carpeting, blankets, near a heat source or other locations where they can get and/or retain some heat.

And, of course, the position a dog chooses to sleep in - just like humans - in the end comes down to what position is most comfortable to the dog in that moment. Some dogs simply prefer one position over another as it's just comfortable.

So, short answer, I'm sure some people do label that position as "the fox" but there is no formal labeling system for canine resting position. I, and most veterinary behaviorists and applied animal behaviorists would simply describe the position.

I hope that helps. Happy holidays!

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Worcester, MA Behavior Specialist
Masters Candidate - Animals and Public Policy
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Science
http://NutzAboutMutz.com

QUESTION: Thanks Jody
I thought just as much! Cant always rely on websites sometimes!!
I can actually come to some sort of accurate description by referring to Bonnie Beavers Canine Behaviour - Insights and Answers chapter on Canine Locomotive behaviour and resting behaviours where it talks about the sternal recumbency position where the sternum and ventral midline touch the ground. this posture is used most frequently where alertness is important.

In lateral recumbency the dog lies with either the left or right side touching the ground which allows for complete relaxation.

Thank you for your time in assisting my questions as always!

Sam
Happy Holidays to you too!

Answer
Yes, sternal recumbency and lateral recumbency are definitely the proper medical/scientific descriptive terms, while I was sticking with lay-person speak. I don't own that text book, but it looks like a quality book for canine behavior and an excellent resource. I may need to add it to my library.

Jody

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT