Canine Behavior/Chuva and Asha again!

Thank you for your kind words about Chuva..
Things have inproved at the house mainly because Asha has not been up here so often the past few days but i have your plans in wait!
But we do meet up for walks and last time when chuva saw Asha she keep on rushing back into my car. then most of the walk she stayed close to me. then when we went to turn round she ran off  NOT responding to my whistle (sp?)it took me ages to catch up with her . the time before on the walks Chuva spent her time rushing around at great speed up the mountain side, i think showing off to Asha! to be honest Asha is nott respectful of Chuva and is not topld off by my family for her behaviour only by Chuva. I like it if my daughter and family want to meet up with for a walk but sad that Chuva is not enjoying her walks so much! Any thoughts on the matter?
Should I start to give her treats if she responds to the whistle like I did at first when she be honest she is not ALWAYS good at responding to my whistle!. Many thanks Cathy

Hi Cathy,

We meet again on Allexperts!

If Chuva doesn't always respond to your whistle, then I don't think it's unusual that she didn't respond on the specific walk you described. I can't say whether her not responding that time had anything to do with Asha, or not, since she doesn't respond at other times as well. I'm not sure what Chuva's going back to the car meant, as I didn't see it. It could have been a behavior in avoidance of the walk and/or of Asha. Not having seen it, I can't say.

The "rushing around at great speed up the mountain side, I think showing off for Asha" does seem to me as if Chuva was excited, possibly by Asha's presence and the anticipation of the walk. If she looked content, then she was being playful and enjoying the walk, which is what it seem to be from what I've read in your description.

I'm not sure what you mean by Asha not being respectful of Chuva. If your family won't correct Asha's violating any of Chuva's boundaries, as I explained last week, then the task is left up to Chuva and, again, I have to ask if Asha respects Chuva when Chuva corrects Asha? If so, then there is not currently an issue. There is only an issue if Asha does not heed Chuva's corrections, or if Asha heeds a correction, but quickly comes back to harass Chuva so that Chuva's corrections are escalating and Chuva is becoming more and more upset too frequently.

If this is the case, then you or your daughter must intervene by snapping a leash on Asha during walks until she learns to respect Chuva, and until you've applied some of my earlier suggestions indoors and can see that they're getting along. There is no other solution, except for training. Using the leash starts as a management solution, but it can also train a dog to listen to a cue, as the leash allows you to enforce a cue (for example: "Asha, over here," using the leash to make Asha come to your or your daughter's side, and then rewarding Asha while she's there). I like leashes because they do teach dogs that when you say something, you mean it because you can enforce it. A leash is an excellent training tool for that reason when used properly. Other than the leash, there is no Magic Wand I have for you.

As for your whistle, there is a DVD called "Really Reliable Recall" which may help you. It's in English, but it's easy to follow. Any video on teaching dogs to respond to the recall (come when called) may help you, and you can try to look for such DVDS. You can also Google or Youtube "training dogs the recall" or "training dogs to come when called" and I am sure you'll find some helpful videos. You can also Google the search terms in Portuguese, of course!

I hope these suggestions help! It would be a shame for Chuva to not get to enjoy her walks any longer. Make sure Asha knows and minds her manners until you're sure the dogs have established their relationship and feel comfortable with each other.

Best regards,
Madeline Friedman, M.A.

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.

I respond to public questions only. I'm not a veterinarian & do not respond to medical questions.Suggestions: Submit a question in one area of priority, as what I am able to address in this venue is limited. Provide as much detail re: the behavior & issue as you can. Tell me how & if behavior is a change from previous behavior & when the changes occurred. Let me know what you think may have triggered such changes & what you have tried so far to resolve it, & what the results were. Let me know what you want help with & what are your concerns & questions about the behavior. I have set up a payment/donation to myself for responding to questions. I donate most of it to animal shelters & rescues. I keep a small portion for my time. The minimum donation is $25.00 on PayPal. When I see that a donation has been made, I will respond to your question. You will be prompted to make the donation before submitting your question. When you have read & rated my response fairly, which must be at the time you read it, I will refund $5.00 back to you IF YOU REQUEST that I do so in your rating comments. If I ask for more details, please respond as a "follow-up" & not as a new question. If I don't respond to your question, I will refund your donation less $5.00. DO rate me fairly at the end of our exchange. I will be pleased if you DO nominate me for volunteer of the month - why not, if I was generous in my response? I may suggest something you were not necessarily ready to hear, but I am honest in the interest of helping your dog, & that is my goal. Please keep that in mind. Please do NOT contact me privately about Allexperts questions through my e-mail or website unless I have invited you to do so. That is an invasion of my privacy - thank you for respecting it. If you would like to contact me for actual dog training & behavior consulting, you may contact me through my Web site.

Own & operate dog training & behavior consulting businesses, Hoboken Dog Trainer, and ny-njDogTrainer, in the NYC & NYC Metro areas since 2002. Work with thousands of dog owners & their dogs, & shelter & rescue dogs. Active volunteer in dog shelters and rescues (rescues being "no kill" and shelters being municipality-run urban shelters that can and do euthanize dogs). AllExperts volunteer in "Dogs, Category 701" and "Dog Training" and "Canine Behavior" since 2006. When you submit a question, please make sure it's being submitted in the appropriate category as I volunteer in two different categories. Make sure you agree to the Virtual Contract (the instructions I outline for question submissions) and agree to read and rate my response when I answer in the body of your question. I make donations to various animal non-profits based on YOUR ratings. If you don't rate my response, or rate it unfairly, you have just denied a dog rescue org or shelter a donation. Keep that in mind.

Professional Member of APDT for five years Founding Member of Animal Behavior Associates Behavior Education Network Former Board Member of IAABC, appointed by Founder Former Member of IPDTA in Canada Founding member of Behavior Education Network

Chronicle of the Dog (APDT, peer publication, numerous articles) Popular Dog Series magazine, numerous entries AOL in Tonowanda News Morris County News Vermont News Boston NOW New York A.M. Polo Trace Newsletter The Dodo AOL

Counseling Psychology, Caldwell College Animal Science, Rutgers University Master of Arts Degree Permanent New Jersey State Teaching Certification (teach public school and university level) Numerous workshops, lectures, and seminars on dog training and behavior Ongoing self-motivated study in my area of expertise

Best Canine Coach Award, 2006, Rondout Valley Instructor's Training Course Society of Illustrators, second place international competition Jellybean Photographics, second place international competition Fashion Institute of Technology "Commitment to Illustration" award

Testimonials from a number of clients appear on my Web site at under "Reviews." My customers include: Puppy owners wanting to get their puppies off to the best start; owners of mature dogs who want their dogs to have more obedience skills; fosters and owners of rescue dogs or shelter dogs; customers with special needs who need to train or retrain their dogs; housetraining and housebreaking; owners who have behavioral issues with their dogs such as house accidents, aggression towards humans, aggression towards other animals, inattentive dogs, unmotivated dogs, overly-exuberant dogs; and, more.